First "Show"... any tips?

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my Dentist (who is conveniently a friend of the family) has local artists and photographers display/sell their work on his walls. He knows I do the photog thing and admires my work and has asked me to be the next to put their stuff up.

This is very fortuitous (woot, I used that word in a sentence) because I've been wanting to try this and I'm not yet quite nervy enough to start approaching local businesses and such on my own, so this may be a confidence builder (or wrecker! :lol:)

I would love it if anyone would be able to share any tips or advice they have on this... my assumption was I'd get a set of nice but relatively simple frames, have some images printed, and put 'em up, but what the hell do I know? :)

Thanks in advance!

Take your absolutely best shots only. Its tough so ask your friends, family, co-workers etc what they like, its hard to remove your personal feelings from a shot and to an everyday person these emotins will be lost so if your favorite shot is your favorite because of what it represents to you that will not translate to others.

I like to double matte anything I display. I use a white outer matte and use a thin (1/8-1/4 inch) inner matte that picks up some color that is in the photo. This will also give your final product a bit more depth in the frame. Be sure to have a website address where people can view you other work located near the photo with your name and phone number as well you never know when somone may like your talent but not necessarily the photo. They may see a landscpae and like th style and want to talk to you about portrait work or what other type of shts you have.

I found putting up your most your most visually stunning shots is best. This is obvious but does have merit. Forexample when I see an HDR I say its just alright because I know how its done and realize it makes creating a visually stunning photo easier, however when I see a non HDR that is visually pleasing I am very impressed because it truely shows the photographers skill.... This all coming from a photographers mindset. A non photograhper is typically amazed by a well done HDR, they have no idea how is was created and will look at you like you are the best photographer ever because they have never taken a photo that looks like that.

Good luck and be sure to not overprice.

Limit the series to. Write 1/200 or 2/200 or "2 of 200" or whatever right next to your signature on the photo or in a white border (not matting). Include a SMALL price tag on the matting somewhere and maybe an email and phone number too.

These things are what I look for in location displays or whatever you call the kind of marketing you're talking about there.

Take a stroll through an art museum or gallery, and see how they display photographs. I prefer to put the information about the photo and myself on a small card near the framed and matted photograph. I've been using ink jet business card blanks. Put up a short artist's statement and bio somewhere.

This is great advice. Bi, why do you say no matting? Or do you mean just don't sign/number the matting?

This is great advice. Bi, why do you say no matting? Or do you mean just don't sign/number the matting?

I think what he was referring to is leaving a white space around the image or at least at the bottom that is not covered by the matting for adding a signature, edition number etc. For the best presentation, your images need to be matted and framed. I tend to prefer single mats rather than doubles but either is fine. The important thing is having it matted properly to protect the print (keep it off the glass) and using conservation or archival materials. A simple white or off white mat and a thin metal or wood frame looks very nice and professional.

Acid free rag matting in a natural white is my personal favorite with a very thin metal frame. As for signing, always sign the print. If there is white space showing this is best, if not sign the print in the earea covered by the mat and also on the mat in the lower corner. Having a small card for placing on the wall next to the frame is a great place for additional information about you and the print like your contact name and web site and of course a price for the piece.

If you're anything like me, you are your biggest critic and will only display those photos that really stand out in your eye. Of course, some people have told me that some of my least favorite photos are actually some of their most admired.

I have a show coming up too at a local shop and I will be using cheap frames and high quality prints. A small price tag will be attached to the bottom right corner of each frame that is visible enough that it is seen but subtle enough that it doesn't detract from the photo.

When you get into matting and nice frames, you really start spending a lot of money and unless you price each photo accordingly, you'll end up in the hole. Then again, a lot of people will not spend $100+ on a photo so you have to find a happy medium. If your family owns a frame shop, then you're good to go but I've found that it gets really pricey to frame a photo. You may be able to find a "framing kit" that includes a frame, a mat, and some glass for relatively inexpensive.

make sure your website is in sight somewhere. the bio card idea is good - use it.

Also I recommend using a few colorful photos in the mix. It will attract more people to the wall to check out the rest of your photos. Everyone is attracted to bright colorful photos

good luck with your display

Go to a store like Michaels Arts and Crafts for frames and mats. Wait until they have a 40-50% sale or get the sunday paper and get the 40% off coupons. NEVER PAY FULL PRICE FOR A FRAME.

I have a show coming up too at a local shop and I will be using cheap frames and high quality prints.

Cheap frames are just that - cheap. So much for professionalism.

Also I recommend using a few colorful photos in the mix. It will attract more people to the wall to check out the rest of your photos. Everyone is attracted to bright colorful photos

Huh? If an artist has developed a gritty/moody/atmospheric style I don't think they are going to select some puppy dog pics for the public's sake.

I certainly would hope not.

Yeah, signature and series number on the photo itself. Contact information on a business card somewhere or on the matte. Personally, if I see a series number on the photo itself I automatically think "collector", "limited edition", "rarity", "high value", etc. I dunno why. There's really no difference. But it just does. It draws my attention to the potential increased value a limited series may incur and gives me a second factor in convincing myself it's worth paying money for. The fact that it's on the white boarder of the photo adds a sense of truth and permanence to the consideration - true or not. :D

I've watched and listened to other paying customers in a gallery environment and this train of thought seems to generally apply. <shrug>

Last edited:
Yeah, signature and series number on the photo itself. Contact information on a business card somewhere or on the matte. Personally, if I see a series number on the photo itself I automatically think "collector", "limited edition", "rarity", "high value", etc. I dunno why. There's really no difference. But it just does. It draws my attention to the potential increased value a limited series may incur and gives me a second factor in convincing myself it's worth paying money for. The fact that it's on the white boarder of the photo adds a sense of truth and permanence to the consideration - true or not. :D

I've watched and listened to other paying customers in a gallery environment and this train of thought seems to generally apply. <shrug>

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with that. I have the exact same reaction when I see series numbers. Probably silly, but...

Of course, now the question is... how big should a series be? 20? 50? 100? I assume I would write X/Y where Y is the number total copies in the series.

Another question... what the heck should I charge? I was thinking of printing up 11x17 or 16x20ish in size.

Thanks for all this help, guys!

Oh btw, if anyone hasn't seen my other thread with the pictures I'm considering putting in the show, it is here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135723

Most reactions

New Topics

Back