First SLR

chris230

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, Im looking for my first SLR, I just found out that the pentax mz50 and 60 are very limited so Im looking for other options. Im on a tight budget, ie 80 pounds and under inc lens. My main concern is picture quality, i also need manual and auto focus and lens compatibility would be next in my list of concerns as the only time I will likely buy a new lens is when I can afford a substatial focal length for wildlife photography. Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hey Chris,

I hate to break it to you, but it will be very difficult to find an SLR for 80 pounds (156 dollars for the Americans like me), even a used one. I got my Pentax *ist DS for 281 pounds (550 dollars) on sale. You might be able to find a used one on eBay but that's really risky. If you're really set on an SLR, you could wait it out, or you could just settle on a really nice point and shoot camera. You could check out www.consumerreports.org to find a good one.

Sorry but I have to correct you there. It is very possible to find an SLR for £80, even £50, as low as £10 for some... because these are 35mm film SLRs. Chris presumably knows this since he has looked at specific models.

Digital SLRs on the other hand are as you say usually more expensive.

If as I assume we're talking about film SLRs, "picture quality" is never an issue because the lens and film determine that. Some cameras may be better at auto-focusing or auto-exposure than others, but then you might be able to produce a better image using a 50-year-old camera and lens with no auto-anything. But since you say you want auto-focus, your options are basically any of the following systems... Nikon, Canon EOS, Pentax, Minolta. All of their 35mm SLR systems offer auto-focus with the option of manual focus. You can find a camera and lens combination within your budget for any of those brands if you look for used ones (especially on eBay) and the lenses for any will also be useable on digital SLRs - Nikon, Canon and Pentax all have digital SLR systems and Sony took over Minolta's system. In other words you have plenty of choice.

P.s. I didn't mean to say the MZ-50 and MZ-60 are that limited. Both of them will let you use auto-focus and will let you focus manually with auto-focus lenses. What they won't let you do is use old manual-focus-only lenses - which none of Canon or Minolta's auto-focus cameras do anyway.

sry. i should have been more specific, i ve looked into DSLR before and found it to be too expensive, im now looking for an analouge SLR

sry, i mean film, can you tell I sell digi cams at currys for beer money lol

Get a Nikon N90s. If you keep an eye open on ebay, you can get one for under $100 US. It will use a huge number of lenses both auto and manual. If you are handy, you can even make the modification to a non AI lens so that it will work (the info is on the net) Some of the older lenses are a joy to use, as a matter of fact, I just got a Kiron (the original Vivatar series 1) 28-105 f3.2-4.5 for $20. It's a manual but who cares? It's as sharp as a tack and the colors are splendid (OK, I put it on my D200, but I bought it for my N90s). The point is The N90s is the only N series Nikon to be considered a pro body (it's tough) and is a joy to use. The auto focus works very well (not as good as a $300 F100 but close) and the metering is better than most people really need anyway. Nikon lenses are generally good to fantastic and there are a huge number of choices which will work on their Digital bodies too (D70, D2 series) as opposed to Canon's older lenses (some of the older Nikons are legendary and Pricey!). Anyway, good luck! mike

Really there is endless choice, 35mm film SLRs have dropped massively in price. You can easily get a great camera, with lens, from any manufacturer within this budget.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back