What's new

First snow of the season

Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
And I can't get them to come back in!

Kodiak_and_Sitka.jpg
 
Adorable dogs well framed, but way underexposed. Should be something close to white in a snow scene, no?
 
Thanks for the comments Ken. That's Kodiak on the left and Sitka on the right. The camera for this is just my trusty old D40 in full auto. When a shot like this comes up, there is pretty much only one shot at it. The original is a JPG, but I am sure I could probably tweak it a little, but white dogs on snow is tough!

And here is the original (reduced to 22% of its original size):

DSC_0761_small.jpg
 
Next time you grab the camera to shoot in snow, set the exposure compensation for at least +1. This should only take a couple of seconds as you are going out. The meter will always underexpose any scene with a lot of snow in it, so you have to be ready. I have Canon stuff, so I don't know if the exposure modes are the same, but you might have to switch to something like programmed auto exposure to be able to use exposure compensation.
 
Loved it; with your silent permission....

Just dragged the curve up and added some contrast

Regards :D

5263710448_7d343bdc6a_b.jpg
 
I can really tell the difference, but I know its a stretch working with cropped portion of a 6mp image in JPG so that is three strikes against me from the start!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom