First Step Of A Thousand Mile Journey

Charles Morse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ahem ... Tap Tap Tap
I guess this is the forum for me. After struggling with a sport camera for the last three years, I finally made the giant leap to a point & shoot two days ago. I must say the transition has inspired me to seek out this, my first photography forum in the hope of finding the true meat and potatoes of taking great pictures. In addition to the owners manual for my new camera I have been seeking out tutorials on YouTube which seem to be quite scarce. The best advice I have seen there is from a professional who simply advised that a passable camera is sufficient to help with creating the foundation & finding a mentor or good source of advice is the best route to take. I am so happy to see such a well organised forum and so many kind people willing to look at and provide critiques' for new recruits like me. On that note I offer my very first presentable creation which I used for my new cover photo on Facebook.
DSC00021.JPG
Any advice or criticism would be more than welcome. Thanks Very Much & All The Best

Hi Charles, and welcome to the forum.
What camera do you use and how much do you know about photography? Are you familiar with what aperture and shutter speed do, and how changing these values change the look of your images?
With sport camera - are you talking about an action camera like a GoPro?
Regarding your cover photo: I guess you were after some kind of garage band look. If not, I´d clean up the background a bit.
You could also have faced the right guitar to the left. To me, it is a bit distracting, that both are facing the same direction. I tend to say that every object has a face and face is looking in a certain direction. The face of the right guitar is looking somewhere, but we don´t know where because there is no room to look. I hope that makes sense. I do understand that the main focus of the image is the left guitar, but for whatever reason, my view wanders from left to right and back.
Also: bright subjects tend to lead the view, and the brightest subject in your image is the white map. So it adds to the distraction.
I hope that helps. Keep the images coming ;)

Thanks for the reply ! Your advice is very direct and well spoken. I have literally just learned the basics of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. My new camera is the Sony W800 which I picked up for $120.00 CDN so although somewhat limited, I can alter a few basic settings. My main focus until I upgrade will be composition and balance as well as subject and creating an impression so all of your tips are right on the money and I will take them to heart. I agree about cleaning up the background, I like the idea that objects have a face, and I smiled to see your comment about the bright white notebook in the middle of the image. When I posted the image I placed my profile pic in the middle to cover that up. :) Here's a screeny.
08-31 002_2.JPG
As per my old camera, yes it's a GoPro bottom of the line no view finder nightmare that can't handle the simplest of tasks. Thanks again for the valuable advice & I hope your winter will be warmer that mine here in Western Canada.

Most reactions

Back