First studio, need help!

fino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is what I want to do:

I want to shoot soccer portraits like in the video, no one around my area is doing that right now and I have a lot of connections within local soccer.

My budget is under $300 for the kit. I realize it's not much money to work with but after spending on my D90, 50mm lens, a tripod, and recently an SB-700 I really don't have much left. I'm in College full-time and have an unpaid internship so I really wanted to do this to earn some side money/get better at photography.

These are some of the kits under $300 I've been looking at, please give me some feedback!

ps: Since I would be shooting them standing doing tricks I would more than likely need at least a 10x20 backdrop cloth so they can step on it.

Kit 1: Amazon.com: Two Prism 10x20', 100% Cotton Muslin Backdrops and The Ravelli Full Size 10x12' Background Stand Set: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Cowboystudio Photography/Video Portrait Umbrella Continuous Triple Lighting Kit with Three Day Light CFL Bulbs, Umbrellas, Stands, and Carrying Case For Product, Portrait, and Video Shoots: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Single Boom Reflector Lighting Light Kit with AC Socket and Sandbag: Camera & Photo

Kit 2: Photo Studio Premium Reflector Umbrella Continuous 750 Watt Boom Lighting kit, Background Support, and Muslin Background (it's $280, will be adding a 10x20 white background for $20 more)

kit 3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081SUXTG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JD14OD11FZKR (can buy the 10x20 backdrop cloth separately for $45)

Now these are just kits I've been looking at, if you have any recommendations please let me know. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a few thoughts. Have you considered the Flashpoint kits through Adorama? Flashpoint is the Adorama "house brand" and for the money, I think they are pretty decent quality. I have a few of them, and the price is reasonable. I think better quality than the Cowboy Studio ("CS") kits. I bought some CS radio triggers when I first started and eventually moved up to Phottix Strato II radio triggers just to get something that felt a bit more "solid" to me.

How are you planning to fire your lights? Do you have radio triggers?

Thank you for the reply, and no, I have not looked into Flashpoint kits yet but I will. I do have radio triggers.

Full-length portraits, even trying to "stand still", you're going to need some real light. Save your money on those continual lights, they will not cut it. You will be "chopped".

I think the SB-700 will be just enough light. Get a backdrop, (or make one to save money), buy a cheap lightstand and white umbrella kit, and try it out. You can fire the flash by wire to save some money until you can afford a radio trigger setup.

(edit) I see you already have a radio trigger.

Last edited:
That is a flash unit, 4 channel, radio trigger/transmitter. That unit can only be used with manual flash controls (no TTL).
The transmitter goes on the camera hot shoe, and the receiver goes on the flash unit.

Well, I may have the wrong idea but by radio trigger do you mean a flash trigger? because this is what I got: Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver: Camera & Photo

Yes, a radio-frequency flash trigger, as opposed to a cable, infra-red, or white light trigger.

Try the SB-700 behind an umbrella to see if there is enough light. Practice on somebody else before inviting the soccer team. You may have to get a studio strobe if the speedlight doesn't do the job.

Set up your flash on one side, and a large white reflector on the opposite side of the subject, both about 45 degrees off the axis of the lens. Get them fairly close to the subject, but keep them out of the frame. While you're experimenting, get your test subject to bounce a ball to see if the motion of the ball is "frozen" in midair. Don't be too surprised if you end up needing a more powerful flash.

That is a flash unit, 4 channel, radio trigger/transmitter. That unit can only be used with manual flash controls (no TTL).
The transmitter goes on the camera hot shoe, and the receiver goes on the flash unit.

Yeah I got it yesterday, been using it and it's pretty awesome. From what I've read, it's recommended to learn in manual and not TTL so I think it's a good thing that it doesn't shoot in TTL!

I've had the Ravelli backdrop stand you linked to for a few years now, and am very satisfied with it. I've broken it down and set it up a bunch of times, transported it just as many times, often across the country, and it's held up very well. In fact, I'd say it's just as good today as it was brand new. I've used it with both new (heavy) paper rolls and muslins, as well as lighter sheet-type backdrops with no problems to deal with at all. I like the way the transport bag for it works, with individual pockets for each cross-pole section and stand. I'd buy it again if mine got stolen, and have no problem recommending it.

On the rest, you're already getting good advice. I'll just chime in to say I'd stay away from any continuous lighting kits.

I've had the Ravelli backdrop stand you linked to for a few years now, and am very satisfied with it. I've broken it down and set it up a bunch of times, transported it just as many times, often across the country, and it's held up very well. In fact, I'd say it's just as good today as it was brand new. I've used it with both new (heavy) paper rolls and muslins, as well as lighter sheet-type backdrops with no problems to deal with at all. I like the way the transport bag for it works, with individual pockets for each cross-pole section and stand. I'd buy it again if mine got stolen, and have no problem recommending it.

On the rest, you're already getting good advice. I'll just chime in to say I'd stay away from any continuous lighting kits.

BUCKSTER <===== This is the man to listen to. If there was a slot above "Junkie" that was called "GURU" it would be him.

Well, I may have the wrong idea but by radio trigger do you mean a flash trigger? because this is what I got: Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver: Camera & Photo

Yes, a radio-frequency flash trigger, as opposed to a cable, infra-red, or white light trigger.

Try the SB-700 behind an umbrella to see if there is enough light. Practice on somebody else before inviting the soccer team. You may have to get a studio strobe if the speedlight doesn't do the job.

Set up your flash on one side, and a large white reflector on the opposite side of the subject, both about 45 degrees off the axis of the lens. Get them fairly close to the subject, but keep them out of the frame. While you're experimenting, get your test subject to bounce a ball to see if the motion of the ball is "frozen" in midair. Don't be too surprised if you end up needing a more powerful flash.

What studio strobe would you recommend to get?

Thank you for the reply! Glad it's a good backdrop to get, makes me feel a bit more relaxed about buying this!

... I really wanted to do this to earn some side money/get better at photography....
Forgive me if I rain on the parade; earning money and improving photographer, at least in the context I understand you to mean from your post should be mutually exlusive. Once you are confident of your ability in a particular area to discharge a commission satisfactorily, THEN you start earning money. NOT before. Buy some gear and practice, but for god's sake, WALK before you try and run. The chap in the video you linked to clearly had a LOT of experience and knowledge, not to mention assistants, and a boat-load of quality gear. Not 100% sure, but the ring flash was an Elinchrom ($1500) and looking at his website, he seems to use a lot of Elinchrom gear... I'd guess there was $10 - 15K worth of gear at that shoot.

This is NOT to say that you can't do this, but don't rush into it thinking you're going to set the sports photography world on it's ear. Start wtih the basics; static head and body shots. Those you can do nicely with 3-5 speedlights (something like the Yongnuo units are cheap, cheerful and will work well for this), some clamps, stands, a couple of Ezyboxes, radio triggers (which you have) a couple of reflectors and a 10' roll of Savage seamless GREY (not black, not white, GREY) paper & stand.

Once you can produce good quality head & upper body shots, are good with the posing, etc, then you will have hopefully earned a $1000 or so dollars to put toward at the very least some Flashpoint lights and modifiers which will allow you to expand your scope. Get some gear together, read through the Strobist blog, and develop a formula for simple headshots, learn how to control your lights, and go from there.. a half-dozen weekends of reading & practicing and posting here for critique should get you to the point where you can produce a quality headshot... then, it's off to the races.

... I really wanted to do this to earn some side money/get better at photography....
Forgive me if I rain on the parade; earning money and improving photographer, at least in the context I understand you to mean from your post should be mutually exlusive. Once you are confident of your ability in a particular area to discharge a commission satisfactorily, THEN you start earning money. NOT before. Buy some gear and practice, but for god's sake, WALK before you try and run. The chap in the video you linked to clearly had a LOT of experience and knowledge, not to mention assistants, and a boat-load of quality gear. Not 100% sure, but the ring flash was an Elinchrom ($1500) and looking at his website, he seems to use a lot of Elinchrom gear... I'd guess there was $10 - 15K worth of gear at that shoot.

This is NOT to say that you can't do this, but don't rush into it thinking you're going to set the sports photography world on it's ear. Start wtih the basics; static head and body shots. Those you can do nicely with 3-5 speedlights (something like the Yongnuo units are cheap, cheerful and will work well for this), some clamps, stands, a couple of Ezyboxes, radio triggers (which you have) a couple of reflectors and a 10' roll of Savage seamless GREY (not black, not white, GREY) paper & stand.

Once you can produce good quality head & upper body shots, are good with the posing, etc, then you will have hopefully earned a $1000 or so dollars to put toward at the very least some Flashpoint lights and modifiers which will allow you to expand your scope. Get some gear together, read through the Strobist blog, and develop a formula for simple headshots, learn how to control your lights, and go from there.. a half-dozen weekends of reading & practicing and posting here for critique should get you to the point where you can produce a quality headshot... then, it's off to the races.

Thank you for this great reply and I couldn't agree more. What are your thoughts on Nikon SB-28s and thoughts on Umbrellas vs Softboxes?

Also you said, "10' roll of Savage seamless GREY (not black, not white, GREY) paper & stand." If I may ask, why grey above white or black? and thoughts on getting this: Amazon.com: Two Prism 10x20&#39;, 100% Cotton Muslin Backdrops and The Ravelli Full Size 10x12&#39; Background Stand Set: Camera & Photo to start with?

thank you

Thank you for this great reply and I couldn't agree more. What are your thoughts on Nikon SB-28s and thoughts on Umbrellas vs Softboxes?

Also you said, "10' roll of Savage seamless GREY (not black, not white, GREY) paper & stand." If I may ask, why grey above white or black? and thoughts on getting this: Amazon.com: Two Prism 10x20', 100% Cotton Muslin Backdrops and The Ravelli Full Size 10x12' Background Stand Set: Camera & Photo to start with?

thank you

I personally love my sb28's.

Most reactions

Back