First Sunrise Shoot

jwsciontc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wanted to try out a sunrise so i went to the beach. Bought my tripod with me. Did some reading last night and learned to not center the sun, even though i did on a few, shoot at around -1 exposure and shoot a lot, before, during, and after the sun comes. I shout around 60 shots, but these were the only good ones, the huge dark grey clouds kinda ruined it, but there will be plenty more!!

C&C is appreciated as I am still learning!

3061086917_d27e219abd.jpg

3061088015_6162a59ec7.jpg

3061918090_6213119671.jpg

3061074095_4a36bf04c0.jpg

Thanks!

Yeah the pics definitely look good but I agree with ChrisBurke that they look a tad dark.

You could check out a split or graduated ND filter. It should help a ton to get a more even exposure.

Definitely nice shots though.

did u shoot these on aperture priority? im planning some sea sunrises soon so want some advice on whats the best settings etc,any help appreciated, thanks

Definitely #1 as far as composition. The rule of thirds doesn't work for me on these.

yeah i kinda forgot about the rule of thirds this morning lol, 7am is pretty early haha. But i shot these in full Manual mode, getting the exposure around -1 or a little less. I can see where there are a tad dark though.

the biggest problem i can see is, while you exposed for the sun, the rest of the image is really dark

Agreed. You should have used your SB-400 to light the entire fore and middle ground. Classic mistake man, classic mistake.

question, when shooting the sun how do u avoid getting blown highlights?

question, when shooting the sun how do u avoid getting blown highlights?

If you are shooting the sun, theres nothing you can do - you will get highlights. The sun is THE SUN. Its light range is off the chart so really all you can do is control it to an extent. Trying to control it too much will result in a black scene with maybe a tiny dot in it.

so reduce the exposure and use a graduated ND2 filter? thx!

isnt that a nikon flash??

That comment I made was 100% a joke. Bringing the sun under control as you did will of course sacrifice light reaching other part of the scene, since the sun occupies a place WAY to the right of dynamic range in a scene.

The joke was made because of the comment that the rest of the scene is "underexposed". Of course it is. Theres nothing you could have done about that short of somehow being able to light an entire beach/lake side, which is of course impossible using a single SB-400.

hahahahahha i see i see. But yeah i tried brightening some of them up, but the sky right around the sun turned a very light grey and all the dark rich oranges were turned to soft bowing yellows which i didnt really like.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back