First test photos Fuji X-E2

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I did it. I couldn't find anyone to buy my 5DmkII with both lenses and (sorry Kathy) I didn't want the trouble of breaking it up so I managed to wrangle the local retailer into swapping me (almost) for a new Fuji X-E2 with the 18-55mm and 14mm lenses. Got them Friday afternoon and had to work yesterday so today I was able to start testing the new camera and lenses. I started with the 18-55mm.

Whenever I get a new camera or lens I always head a block down the street and shoot my favorite test target: Cheapy Smokes.

$cheapy.jpg

Here's the full-res pixel-peeper version: Cheapy Smokes. I did remove a slight keystone in the bldg which required a slight crop, but this is 97% of the full frame. My research suggested I would be pleased. Well I am; the X-Trans sensor and the 18-55mm zoom are excellent. Load the full-res version and head to the far right side and look at that no parking sign. That's from a zoom lens! The L series Canon lens I just unloaded couldn't do that.

I'll post some more results here as I get them.

Joe

P.S. Software to convert the X-Trans raw files is still a little scarce especially for the X-E2. Adobe ACR/LR has support in the newest release candidate. Still waiting on Capture One and DXO. Fuji (Lord knows what they were thinking) is shipping a version of SilkyPix which should be re-named SuckyPix. That leaves PhotoNinja and huge kudos to Jim Christian for doing his usual splendid job in delivering a superb product. Above image converted from the original RAF file in PhotoNinja.

Last edited:
So you are saying the Fuji X-E2 out performed your Canon 5DmkII with L lenses ?

So you are saying the Fuji X-E2 out performed your Canon 5DmkII with L lenses ?

Right now I'm saying the Fuji XF 18-55mm f/2.8 zoom clearly outperforms the EF 24-105mm f/4L (not Canon's best) that I just traded for it. No question. Corner and edge definition is noticeably superior in the Fuji lens and central definition is at least as good if not also superior.

The Fuji X-E2 has a smaller sensor (APS-C) versus the full-frame 5DmkII however the Fuji X-Trans sensor does not have the AA filter that the 5D's traditional Bayer array requires. It's going to be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes. Too bad I don't have the two cameras to test side by side. I've been researching this move for the past year and when PhotoNinja finally upgraded support for the X-Trans sensor the scale tipped for me. I really needed the smaller and lighter camera and I expected some overall performance loss, but I think it will be minor. The Fuji sensor won't handle high ISO as well but I won't miss that. This could be pretty close to a lateral move for me as far as IQ is concerned. I'll post more test results here soon.

Joe

Got out again today with the X-E2 and I took the 14mm f/2.8 along. This was another key factor in helping me make the decision to switch. On an APS-C sensor 18mm just isn't wide enough for me so when Fuji announced the 14mm last year I got another step closer. Here's my first photos using the 14mm. This one I straightened up and cropped:

5310_zpsdbd8fdb7.jpg

Here's an uncropped shot that shows off the lens performance on the edges and in the corners -- it is hand held at 1/150 sec f/4.5:

$5310_small.jpg

And here's a link to the pixel-peeper version at full-res processed through PhotoNinja with some modest sharpening: X-E2 14mm f/2.8

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back