First time playing with lights

waiting

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My trainer has a Bodybuilding competition coming up and wanted some photos done.
I've never experimented with lights before so I borrowed some old Elinchrom 600 heads and umbrellas and gave it a go.
I wasn't fussed about the background I just purely wanted to experiment with lighting on him.
How do people learn lighting? Do you just wing it like I did or is there plenty of info out there as I've never looked haha?
I'm thinking about buying a couple of speed lights with some shoot through umbrellas or something to get me started? Any tips on a good affordable starter setup?

12553370193_bf0af31ae8_c.jpg

12555058834_9600136ea9_c.jpg

For your first go, not bad at all. In the first image, I would like to see the shadows on his face brightened just a bit. Pulling your fill light around closer to the lens axis and dropping the power to a stop under key would have worked, but it's not bad. I actually think the background is rather appropriate, given the subject matter. The second is excellent! I wish it had just a bit more room around it, but the lighting and treatment is very well done!

To learn lighting, start by buying this, and reading here. There are also literally tens of thousands of YouTube tutorials; just search "Studio lighting" and similar terms for more information than you can possibly take in. As for gear, it all depends on budget. Yongnuo makes some decent consumer-grade speedlights and triggers. A couple of shoot-through (or better yet convertible) umbrellas, speedlights, triggers and light stands will give you an excellent start into lighting. In fact, you can do some pretty nice work with only one light!
Both of these are single light images:

Eva%20%282%29.jpg

JordanBW.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Really like the first one. The shadows on the face don't bother me personally because the lighting you've used (from the side quite heavily) has highlighted the muscles more, which is really the point more than showing his face. I also think the background works pretty well here.

There's literally ****-tons of info about lighting just a short google search away...

The lighting is very good, but you might ask him to wear less colorful shoes next time. Or no shoes.

Well done!

My trainer has a Bodybuilding competition coming up and wanted some photos done.
I've never experimented with lights before so I borrowed some old Elinchrom 600 heads and umbrellas and gave it a go.
I wasn't fussed about the background I just purely wanted to experiment with lighting on him.
How do people learn lighting? Do you just wing it like I did or is there plenty of info out there as I've never looked haha?
I'm thinking about buying a couple of speed lights with some shoot through umbrellas or something to get me started? Any tips on a good affordable starter setup?

Beasty! Not bad at all, but my eyes are going to the shoes.

Think of your studio as a clock. Put your subject at 6 o'clock, and move your lighting in various places around your subject. Different places of your light will have different effects. I usually place my main light 7-9 o'clock.

I know it sounds odd but draw a diagram and you'll see. Keep shooting and good luck to you both.

Last edited:
Yeah I really like the lighting in the first one. I do kinda wish there was more fill on the right side of his face, but since his muscles are so well-defined it doesn't bother me much.

What I do wish is that his right foot was in any other position than what it's in. It's not very...intimidating or aggressive with it kicked out like that. It reminds me of the pose from a 90's childrens movie lol.

Thanks for all the info guys I'll put it all to good use.
I have more shots with the shorts and shoes off but I ruined the lighting messing with it inbetween. I needed a soft box.
Here's another but I don't like the lighting.

12585593593_9828eba453_c.jpg

I like the first shot. He has incredible vascularity! Is he in the heavyweight division?

Haha no the under 80kgs. His currently 87. Has 7kgs to loose in 3 weeks so his going to be shredded as all hell by then!

Stripboxes. Those are usually the go to for the athletic shots. I agree the shoes were distracting. But generally, pretty sharp, and overall not too bad for your first go.

Also, check out Strobist

Most reactions

Back