First Time RAW/problems with flickr

RedWylder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I decided to give RAW a shot with my newest photos and I thought everything was going swell until I went to upload them to Flickr. Here's the process my photos went through before the attempt at uploading them:

1. import into lightroom.
2. edit
3. export as a jpeg with ProPhotoRBG colorspace(not sure that matters)
4. attmept to upload.

I'm at a lost as to what could be the issue. I tried a different colorspace thinking maybe flickr didn't support the one I tried but my upload failed again. Is there something I'm missing?

What is the problem? Are you getting an error with flickr? Pictures showing up not as you intended? How are you uploading (through their website, or using the Flickr Uploadr client?

you might try their basic uploader, I sometimes have problems with their new one.

I get the Bonk error message when I try to upload. :( I'll try the basic one and see what happens..

For the internet save the photos as sRGB in colourspace - that is pretty much the universal internet standard. Other colourspaces are not fully supported by all browsers, thus your photos (when they get onto flickr) will look very different to how they should properly look colourwise

But would that prevent them from uploading at all?

Ok so I treid the simple uploader and I was able to get them to upload (slowly) but I think the problem is that I've saved them as too big of a file. Each photo is 2mb which is bigger than the others I was uploading. Should I be saving them smaller?

Yes! 800x600 is adequate for web viewing. 1024xwhatever works too.

Resolution: 72

>.< anytime I see numbers my brain shuts down. Ok so I can do that but I've already gone and saved them all as these huge files. Do I have to go back through and export them all over again? I'm still trying to figure out this process. Also, let's say I want to have some printed and not just on the web- do I have to keep multiple sizes/colorspaces for each photo so that I have the versatility I need? Ugh- my head hurts.

Ok so I treid the simple uploader and I was able to get them to upload (slowly) but I think the problem is that I've saved them as too big of a file. Each photo is 2mb which is bigger than the others I was uploading. Should I be saving them smaller?
Smaller will be faster, but 2MB is already pretty small.

Do you have a pro account on Flickr?

With the pro account, each file can be as large as 20MB. Mine (full size - 4500x3000) are usually 5-10MB.

Have you tried theGOOD Uploadr?
theGOOD Uploadr

I started using that a while ago and like it a lot so far.

No I haven't gotten the pro account but that may soon be on the list of photo crap I need. As for the uploader dealio-I will look into that as well, sounds very helpful! Thanks.

File size won't matter most likely. I upload to Flickr with the original file size without issues. Sounds like maybe you have connection/software issues with the upload process, has nothing to do with your pictures.

Also, let's say I want to have some printed and not just on the web- do I have to keep multiple sizes/colorspaces for each photo so that I have the versatility I need? Ugh- my head hurts.

Here is how I manage things (without lightroom or any other fancy software).

1) Each year has its own folder - 2009, 2010, etc...

2) Inside each year folder I have a separate folder for each day/shooting event etc..

3) Inside each shooting folder I copy in all the photos from the memory cards. I only shoot RAW so this folder now contains a large collection of the RAW files

4) I then open up the RAWs and start editing.

5) Each time I finish editing a photo I save it as a PSD file (editing in elements the PSD is photoshops own save format - letting me keep quick access to the layers incase I want to return to editing the photo at a later date). This saved photo goes into a folder called "keeps" which is inside the same folder as the RAWs are kept.

6) I then have a copy of the RAW (plus the preset values from the RAW editing) and the PSD. From there I can make 1000pixel long versions for the net (saving them in a folder within the keeps folder to keep it all organised); but also make larger versions (as needed) for printing and other uses (again these go into their own folder - eg prints - within the keeps folder).

In short always try to keep one TIFF/PSD type file of the finished edited photo around; that lets you quickly go back and re-use the edited version for prints and many other uses as well as re-editing as needed, without compromising the quality of the final product.

Note some people will delete resized versions of the original once they have used them (eg once you've uploaded to flickr the 1000pixel photos can be deleted). Also Flickr is neat in that it will resize (rather well) automatically for you; thus your 1000pixel will also have 600, 500 and smaller versions auto made my flickr processing.

Thank you! That will help me start to organize my photos.

Most reactions

Back