First time shooting a band, can I charge?

yeah, keep shooting. improve. win at life.

I'm still a little unclear on your dental analogy, however in response to part of your statement above, I'd be happy to buy an image I liked from anyone irrespective of their experience, BUT... chances are, like musicians, mechanics, and almost any job/skill/trade, someone who's just starting is NOT going produce work at the same level as someone who's been doing it for 5, 10, or 20 years.

You're right, poor analogy. Allow me to rephrase. Just because One owns a camera does Not make them an artist.

Not saying you don't have talent. Not saying you won't become the greatest concert photographer ever. I am saying you, at this time, should apply your energy to learning about your equipment (science) and how to apply it to artistic fruition. It takes time to learn the science...I am of the opinion that either you have artistic talent or not, others believe it can be learned.

Either way my intent remains. People buy a digital camera and start charging before they even learn how to shoot in any mode other than "P"

yeah, keep shooting. improve. win at life.

I agree with all of you. I hear you loud and clear. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Clearly (and no one is saying otherwise), I need some more work as far as my photography goes. I'm brand new to this, and I mean to work at it. I am of the opinion that there is at least a little creativity in everyone (some more than others), but that anyone can work hard enough to get good at anything if they have direction and passion.

There is a little creativity in everyone, but it may never translate into creating great images. I'm not going to talk about dentists, or mechanics, just photography. I agree with getting some direction, maybe pick up a few classes, check with some local camera clubs, you'd be surprised at what you can learn. Passion, well I've never been a big fan of that word, everyone that wants to be a photography uses the word. A lot of web sites will have the word in there somewhere. I can't really say I'm passionate about photography, I love the job, I'm good at at the job, it is the best job I've ever had, only job I've ever had. It's a job.

Take what people have said on here, learn how to use light, it's pretty much the single most important aspect of photography I can think of. When shooting bands, with the light the way it is, shooting some backlit images may separate you from everyone else that shoots from the light side, like the images you posted. Just practice, make it a hobby, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

There is a little creativity in everyone, but it may never translate into creating great images. I'm not going to talk about dentists, or mechanics, just photography. I agree with getting some direction, maybe pick up a few classes, check with some local camera clubs, you'd be surprised at what you can learn. Passion, well I've never been a big fan of that word, everyone that wants to be a photography uses the word. A lot of web sites will have the word in there somewhere. I can't really say I'm passionate about photography, I love the job, I'm good at at the job, it is the best job I've ever had, only job I've ever had. It's a job.

Take what people have said on here, learn how to use light, it's pretty much the single most important aspect of photography I can think of. When shooting bands, with the light the way it is, shooting some backlit images may separate you from everyone else that shoots from the light side, like the images you posted. Just practice, make it a hobby, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Thanks! Yeah, other than a couple (a lot actually, but still not enough) YouTube videos on Light, I know very little about it. I'm definitely planning on learning as much as I can, but I gotta take it a step at a time.

BTW, hate to burst your bubble, but it sounds like you're passionate about it photography ;) Do you get a smile on your face when people ask you about photography? Do you end up talking really fast? That's passion, my friend. But you're right: passion isn't everything. But it helps.

I've been shooting over four decades, it's a great job. I don't tell people that I meet what I do, if they ask I tell them very little. I've done a lot with it, and some people see it as being conceited when I tell them. Nope no bubble bursted, and for the most part being a full time freelance photographer is a combination of frustration, long hours, making little money on a consistent basis and spending tens of thousands on gear just to try and stay competitive. These days, it's not the most "passionate" profession to be in.

Your point is well made, but you don't see a person walk into guitar center buy their first guitar and then go out and start booking paying gigs at the local club where there is a cover charge.

I've been shooting over four decades, it's a great job. I don't tell people that I meet what I do, if they ask I tell them very little. I've done a lot with it, and some people see it as being conceited when I tell them. Nope no bubble bursted, and for the most part being a full time freelance photographer is a combination of frustration, long hours, making little money on a consistent basis and spending tens of thousands on gear just to try and stay competitive. These days, it's not the most "passionate" profession to be in.

Maybe I'm way off, but that's how I talk about playing drums. And as far as frustration, long hours, no money and putting tons of time, energy and money into it: tell me about it! ;).

I used to judge music competitions.

You can tell the ones that practice a lot and progress well to be good all-around musicians by their results while playing. Saying something is "artsy" when it's just bad is to cover up bad technique, knowledge and training.

The same can be said about photographers and the images they capture.

I used to go out with friends to see other friends play in bar bands.
I just keep my mouth shut and say that was pretty good. Which is what happens all the time when friends respond to friends photos.

I agree that the comparisons to something like dentistry are silly. No one suffers if you take a bad picture. Bad dentistry can have lasting ill effects.

The comparison is bad.

As for the photos shown, there are two dynamics in play.

First, the photos themselves: As other have stated, they're dark and not really something you should expect someone to pay for. They're just not of that quality.

The other dynamic, and which no one else has picked up on, is that you played in the band right after them. I've played in more than a few bands in my 53 years and there always seemed to be a degree of "professional courtesy". Back in the day (long before digital) someone in a band that followed mine at a festival took a photo of me with my guitar. The way it was framed you could easily believe that the crowd numbered in the tens of thousands (in fact, it was about 12,000). The guy had an 11x14" made and gave it to me. He didn't ask me if I wanted to buy it. He just had it framed and gave it to me. Some years later I returned the favor and did something similar for him.

The photos you've posted aren't something that, I think, anyone would want to pay for, so how much are you devaluing your work if you just gave them the photos? As a beginner, your photography isn't about money, so resist the temptation to make it so. When I was first learning, there were two bands I would shoot for free. I cut my teeth shooting those bands, and I got a lot better at what I wanted to do. Now I make a decent living with my camera, and some of that income is "music photography".

Give them the photos, foster the good will between bands and enjoy the fact that you did something nice for someone.

I agree that the comparisons to something like dentistry are silly. No one suffers if you take a bad picture. Bad dentistry can have lasting ill effects.

The comparison is bad.

As for the photos shown, there are two dynamics in play.

First, the photos themselves: As other have stated, they're dark and not really something you should expect someone to pay for. They're just not of that quality.

The other dynamic, and which no one else has picked up on, is that you played in the band right after them. I've played in more than a few bands in my 53 years and there always seemed to be a degree of "professional courtesy". Back in the day (long before digital) someone in a band that followed mine at a festival took a photo of me with my guitar. The way it was framed you could easily believe that the crowd numbered in the tens of thousands (in fact, it was about 12,000). The guy had an 11x14" made and gave it to me. He didn't ask me if I wanted to buy it. He just had it framed and gave it to me. Some years later I returned the favor and did something similar for him.

The photos you've posted aren't something that, I think, anyone would want to pay for, so how much are you devaluing your work if you just gave them the photos? As a beginner, your photography isn't about money, so resist the temptation to make it so. When I was first learning, there were two bands I would shoot for free. I cut my teeth shooting those bands, and I got a lot better at what I wanted to do. Now I make a decent living with my camera, and some of that income is "music photography".

Give them the photos, foster the good will between bands and enjoy the fact that you did something nice for someone.
LOVE your advice. Goodwill with bands is key.

I think what had me worried (and it's clear now that it's not the case) was I've seen posts here where people have been criticized for offering their work for cheap, and how it makes it more difficult for photographers to charge enough money to pay their bills when other photographers will offer to work for next to nothing.

These photos I think will be simple instagram posts, and I'll give them to the band for free (if they want them). Thanks.

Well, I'm not at all concerned with whatever you choose to do impacting my ability to earn a living.

I'm able to charge what I charge not because I know I'm good at what I do, but because people writing the checks know I'm good at what I do. It's an absolutely false premise to say that giving away photos, or selling them cheaply, devalues anything. If Photographer A believes he can't make a living because Photographer B gives his photos away, Photographer A need to find a different job.

Most reactions

Back