First time shotting with entry level SLR

rodneylynn1977

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is my first time shooting with a SLR, I am currently learning with a Canon Rebel XS... I was 3 rows from the top, using a 50 x 300 lense. I want to find a photography class soon.

Any ideas on a clearer picture? How do I speed the shutter up?

IMG_0225.jpg

Since you can't use a flash....

Boost your ISO, and use shutter priority mode.

There is nothing wrong with the way you were shooting... A mono pod or tripod will help as I think that most of the issue is camera shake from a long lens.

The Sport mode, I believe, automatically shifts the Auto Focus mode to AI Servo AF, which will lock onto your subject and keep focus sharp while it is moving, and compromises on the shutter side for exposure. (shutter priority)..

To increase your shutter speed and still use the Sport mode, you need to increase your ISO... 800 will give you a little increase in that shutter and from the looks of the frozen ball and most of the players it should yield respectable results.. You could possibly push the ISO further but would likely introduce some noise.......

Your lens is probably holding you back from very much more speed...

Since you can't use a flash....

Boost your ISO, and use shutter priority mode.
I dont understand when people say this, i think you should use shutter priority when you want to control how much blur you want to add/remove to a photo.

In this situation you probably use Aperture priority (so the shutter is always the fastest, but has proper exposure, your lens is limiting your exposure, not the shutter speed... Depth of field shouldnt be an issue, so I would true bumping up the ISO, putting in aperture priority and opening the aperture as big as it will go (lower F/number)

Edit:

EXIF data shows:
Rebel XS
F/4.5
1/125
ISO 400
Focal Length: 100mm
Just to get rid of the camera shake, you should use at least 1/100, and since its sports and you want to freeze action, you need it even faster, 1/125 isnt too bad....

I think ISO 400 is almost the limit with the XS before it starts to get pretty grainy, you should try ISO-800 which will be a 1/500 shutter speed with f/4.5 (if its wide open) aperture, which might be good enough in your situation... It might be grainy tho... Try a monopod!

There is nothing wrong with the way you were shooting... A mono pod or tripod will help as I think that most of the issue is camera shake from a long lens.

The Sport mode, I believe, automatically shifts the Auto Focus mode to AI Servo AF, which will lock onto your subject and keep focus sharp while it is moving, and compromises on the shutter side for exposure. (shutter priority)..

To increase your shutter speed and still use the Sport mode, you need to increase your ISO... 800 will give you a little increase in that shutter and from the looks of the frozen ball and most of the players it should yield respectable results.. You could possibly push the ISO further but would likely introduce some noise.......

Your lens is probably holding you back from very much more speed...
Maybe next year I can afford a nicer lense... I really would like to find an entry level photography class.

Most reactions

Back