First time with birds in flight

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have never tried to capture birds in flight before, but decided I would head down to the water and maybe give it a shot.
Some things I noticed was in 3D AF tracking the camera was being difficult with keeping the birds in focus. I set the camera up to single point, continuous focus, center weighted metering for the follow on shots to get them to work a bit better.
This ended up being easier to focus, but I found that with trying to focus on them and their flight paths, I often had them dead center of the frame, or leading out (which I know is not correct).
It was fun though and I've sure people probably enjoyed watching me whip around trying to keep these things in frame with their irregular flight paths :lol:

I used the 55-200mm VR lens for the shots BTW. I'm sure there is better glass, this is just all I had one me at the time.

bird3of1.jpg

bird2of1.jpg

20091126-DSC_0043-1.jpg

20091126-DSC_0047-1.jpg

20091126-DSC_0045-1.jpg

6. His eye really popped
20091126-DSC_0032-1.jpg

7. Just for fun, this shows how that setup was able to distinguish between the background and bird.
bird4of1.jpg

C&C Welcome... Maybe some hints on technique.

Hey, for your first go round I think you did good. You got them and they in pretty good focus, good for you. I found the 3D tracking challening as well with BIF. I pretty much used the forum feedback and have gone to center focus point. I like #1 because of the light on his underside showing his feather and color detail.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back