first timed exposure, advice?

liquidflight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Took this last fall, I'd never done timed exposure before then. Any suggestions or comments?

338%3A599923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D726%3D%3C34%3DXROQDF%3E232346299%3C%3B%3C2ot1lsi

grrrrrrr, i really hate power lines. :? not that there was necessarily anything you could have done about it. i just hate it when there's potential for a really nice picture and there's no way to avoid getting power lines in the shot. happens to me all the time. sometimes you can work with them, but something like this i think would look much better without them.

i think you did a decent job. the only other thing i would have liked to see done differently is to have those lights on the car streaking all the way across the shot rather than only part of the way like they are now.

good work. keep em comin. :)

Wow! I really like this one. I like the framing effect of the silhouetted trees and the swooping lines of the power lines and the road and lights. I love the fog.

i agree that power lines get in the way. but in my opinion i think it works with this image (who knows i might change my mind later)..those power lines sort of follow the headlights of the passed cars.

good job :D I have yet to do this experiment. I dont really have anyplace to do it.

I like the atmosphere, it is strange, and the lights makes a very good impact, like the window.
I like the total equilibrium.
Unluckily, it is dificult to translate everything i´m thinking. I need to learm more vocabulary. But my general opinion is that:

It´s great.

ikyut.

Contrary to some above opinon I think the streaking lights stopping where they are add to this picture. Add somewhat of a definition of what is in the picture and a curiousity of what causes the streaking.

carlita said:
grrrrrrr, i really hate power lines.

Power lines, airplane contrails, and litter!! They all suck. Carlita, I just keep trying to tell myself that when they just start beaming power to people, or some other new technology makes the line obsolete, then my photos with powerlines will be quaint. I try to tell myself the same about ugly, modern automobiles, and the horror of horrors, the SUV. I thought it sucked trying to shoot buildings surrounded/blocked by normal sized parked cars. SUVs are twice as big.

But for this subject matter I don't think the lines detract at all. Power lines are parts of houses. I actually find the traffic signs to be more distracting. I like how the shapes formed by the power lines mirror the shapes formed by the road and light streaks. I'm okay with the lights the way they are, but if they were going all the way through the pic, that would look good too.

What I like the most is how this night photo is filled with light. This shot is way more interesting than the same composition shot on a clear, dark night. Foggy, misty nights are great for this. Wet surfaces reflect a lot of light so rainy nights work too. My biggest complaint with most night photography is that they are too dark, too much blackness. I know what you're saying, "Hey! It's night, it's supposed to be dark." Blackness with some texture or black silhouettes are fine, but for me night photos with too much black seem to be lacking excitement, or something.

i love the power lines!! for some reason they add a weird geometry to the whole thing!! good work!

md

I'm waiting for someone to invent the powerline equalizing filter. An architectural photogs nightmare. - On the subject of time exposure - nice job - did you calculate the time or just guess? It also looks like daylight based film - right?
Good job

Wow! Thanks everyone for your comments and compliments! I'm pleased that it appeals to some, and that there are things I can improve as well.
In answer to your question Pat, I guessed at the time. :? I know nothing about timed exposure at all. It was 100 speed film I think.

Tungsten film helps out immensly. I think the eye has a problem with a "yellow cast" Kodak makes a 64 and a 320 speed. The results are beautful. Too bad it is close to 12 dollars a roll. Night photography is surreal and relatively unexplored. Keep at it :shock:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back