First timer...

ChristopherGrant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.projectgrant.com
First time posting a pic! Be brutal!

Aug23rd2003_13.jpg

If you want to see more, check out this post of ze' home-page...
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1295

The pic is pretty neat, but the fact that it's pushing the bounderies of composition is fan-freakin-tastic.

Great pic, he looks like he is either gonna smile at you, or bite the lense off your camera. Did he know you were going to photogragh him, or was is covert :)

He is (way) off center, but that adds to the ambience of the shot.

You've gotta love how old folks have so much character from their lines (read wrinkles).

My 2¢ is just to resize pics when you post them so that one can see the entire picture without having to scroll over/down.

Brutal? Ok, it breaks all the rules. Now thats out of the way.

This is one of the few. You shoot ROLLS and ROLLS to get one like this. A fleeting expression that is open to interpretation along with the vague attention grabbing background make for a strongly competitive image. The beautiful man and the portent situation conflict for attention but somehow it really really works.

Brad,

Actually no, this was shot using a canon 10d (digital) which has an effective image field of 22.7x15.1, making it smaller than your standard 35mm formats. Annoying as I automatically get a 1.6x magnification due to the image field and CMOS censor, which makes any wide angle shots VERY expensive to consider.

cheers for the groovy comments,
christopher

I don't really understand why y'all are all saying this breaks all the rules of composition. Last time I checked, him being centered would have broken the rules of composition. and the bandstand/band makes a wonderful leading line to the old man, and comes close to a frame. Top of the bandstand is along top 3rd line, man is close to the intersection of third lines. And DOF is awesome.

I love this pic. Great focus, wonderful expression.

Most reactions

Back