First try at baby pictures.

Fedaykin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hebercollphotography.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. My girlfriend's sister's baby turns one in a few days, so as a gift I offered to take pictures of him, I need the practice. It was a lot of fun, but very challenging, he kept moving a lot and wouldn't look at the camera(he kinda hates me), luckily his mom and aunt where there to help make him smile and look cute :)

These where lit with a softbox camera right at 45 and 45 degrees, two lights on the background and a silver reflector cmaera left,which sadly didn't work too well. He kept moving so I didn't have fill light on a lot of the shots, had to try my best at fixing it in post.

C&C is welcome as always. I'm pretty much not happy with these, but I guess that's what practice is for. Now I know what I did wrong and how to do it right next time:

5073843479_660f89cafe_b_d.jpg

5073843475_9f3ac4c96e_b_d.jpg

5073843467_1e183238c6_b_d.jpg

5073811997_e208f58ba5_b_d.jpg

5073790871_9d15c7318a_b_d.jpg

5073790875_22e7d4ae98_b_d.jpg

As you may be able to see my back lights where too strong and my main light too low, causing some issues with contrast. I had to bring the exposure up in post which caused too much light wrapping around him and making him or his clothes almost bleed into the white; but it was either that or him being underexposed. Thing is that I placed him too close to the background(about 4 feet) plus the lights on the back aren't adjustable in power. And I should have used and umbrella instead of a reflector for fill, but I couldn't as the stands I have where being used for holding up the white cloth(background) and softbox. Luckily I am about to purchase some background stands and a white muslin so this won't be an issued anymore, plus getting a new umbrella too(one I have is used and almost at breaking point).

Anyway, thanks for looking! And sorry for talking so much :)

"Okay buddy, you know I hate you,right? So put the camera away and head home. Before I have to throw a tantrum on you! Now beat it!"

they look really good. I like 1 and2. Only thing is they look a little over exposed to me. But still nice.

"Okay buddy, you know I hate you,right? So put the camera away and head home. Before I have to throw a tantrum on you! Now beat it!"

Haha yeah, he was actually more cooperative than I expected, thanks to my assistants.
they look really good. I like 1 and2. Only thing is they look a little over exposed to me. But still nice.

Thanks for the comment.

Aggghhh I just want to pinch those chubby cheeks...lol

The pictures are very nice. You addressed all the issues and I am sure the next set will be spectacular!

Really? I see a "IMMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT BEYONCE HAD THE BEST MUSIC VIDEO OF ALL TIME.. OF ALL TIME!" moment..

Well done! As the father of a (currently) one and a half year old I know how difficult it is to get a young'n to cooperate, even with assistants. It looks like you did a great job of self-critiquing and addressing the issues. The only additional bit of advice I will give is to shoot the scene a bit wider than you might think. You can always crop in later, but that way if the child moves just before you shoot (as they tend to do - I don't know how they anticipate the shutter like that) you won't have lost your composition, you can just crop back to it.

Very cute kid. I think you did a great job. I have tried shooting kids outdoors never in a control setting and it's very challenging. I think you did a great job.

I like these a lot.

Which is unusual, since I rarely like portraits of babies.

The eyes are very nice and sharp throughout all the images.

The last picture made me laugh! Cute capture for sure.

#2 and #5 aren't working as well for me

Most reactions

Back