First try at baseball pics ... C&C please

badrano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I remembered to bring my camera to the Camden Riversharks game last Friday. Below are 3 of what I thought were the best pics in the terms of what was captured.

They all were edited to adjust the exposure level and I think they still look a little underexposed. I stayed in Shutter Priority but struggled to get a decent exposure. Some of the settings I had were 1/1000s with 800 ISO and 1/500s with 1600 ISO (as the night set it in). Please C&C and any suggestions on taking shots under stadium lighting would be helpful.

$RiverSharks_001_083013.JPG$RiverSharks_001_083013_01.JPG$RiverSharks_001_083013_02.JPG

Nikon D7100
Tamron 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6

The biggest problem is the f-stop. With a 4.5 lens you'll need to drop your shutter speed down to 250-500 and keep your iso up as high as you can., at 250th you won't stop the ball, but you should be able to come away with some cleaner images. These are all under exposed. As far as the action goes, the first one doesn't really tell me anything, second one is too late, and the third one is the best one. Baseball is all about timing, if you want to get the ball in the frame and still come away with a good image.

Thanks for the feedback. I knew my biggest issue was the lens since the F-stop is not low enough. I was reluctant to go too high on ISO in fear of getting a pic too grainy. I will just have to go back and watch another game and try, try, try again until it's perfect :D.
Maybe I'll mess around and rent a faster lens.

Most reactions

Back