First try at light painting

dustin746

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Got bored earlier so I decided to try a little light painting with my DVD player's light.
d7f77db190241461c3602f917b8b00f3.jpg
16693b1df7478c4ec8888cab66b8b2a3.jpg

I think it's pretty cool. I might have to go practice it a little bit.

I ran into a good website on light painting but don't remember what it was. Try searching "Light Painting". Something will come up.
I have never tried this type of light painting. I have painted objects with light.

Alright. I searched it earlier and there's a lot of good info on it.

I've got some sparklers put up somewhere so I might try it out when I find them.

I've got some pretty good ideas for light painting with a Christmas theme.
It's fun :)

I didn't even think about Christmas! Should be pretty interesting to see some with a Christmas theme.

well I would say your first try was successful, now you just need to find more interesting ways to light paint

I've got some green sparklers up in my closet. May have to get them out and try some stuff

one thing you can do is set up a object some place, get behind the object and move a flashlight around the object with the light pointed at the camera and outline the object in light, that can turn out pretty cool. make sure you do not stay still, keep your body moving around of you will be able to see it in the shot. you may need to try a few different shutter speeds to get the right exposure so you can see the image but light painting is allot of fun. I have never been very good at it but I have always enjoyed doing it the few times that I have tried.

go to a dark room
long exposure
walk around the room with a flash and flash yourself every couple seconds. makes a neat pic of you multiple times in the dark. You can get really creative too

that sounds fun.. I might give that a shot this weekend

go to a dark room
long exposure
walk around the room with a flash and flash yourself every couple seconds. makes a neat pic of you multiple times in the dark. You can get really creative too
That does sound pretty cool. May have to do that

one thing you can do is set up a object some place, get behind the object and move a flashlight around the object with the light pointed at the camera and outline the object in light, that can turn out pretty cool. make sure you do not stay still, keep your body moving around of you will be able to see it in the shot. you may need to try a few different shutter speeds to get the right exposure so you can see the image but light painting is allot of fun. I have never been very good at it but I have always enjoyed doing it the few times that I have tried.
Might try that with my lawn mower lol. I need to get a tripod

Last edited:
If you happen to know anyone who flys RC air craft with a night set up you can get some cool photos of those..

941476_3167516563041_1822917789_n.jpg

Cool idea! But unfortunately I don't know anyone that flies RC aircraft. Good pic, though!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back