What's new

First try at lightroom beta, C & C Please!

Jacki

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
235
Reaction score
0
Location
Northeastern Michigan
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was reading a post on here, and I found a link to a free version of Adobe Lightroom 3 Beta, and I downloaded it. So far I am really liking it, although it is a little hard to learn all the functions.

Here is one of my first edits with the software:

Original Picture Before Editing:
GEDC2348.JPG



After Editing:
novemberflower_1_of_1_.jpg
 
I am sticking to #1 before the lightroom edit.
 
You're trying too hard.
+1, post processing is not supposed to create a new image, its supposed to show how the subject really was before going through the camera, so adjusting colors and brightness, not super saturating everything
 
Oh, I was actually trying to make it look completely different...I realize that mostly lightroom is used to enhance the original picture, but I was just having some fun.
It didn't take long to do, I just messed with the colors and contrast a bit; I can tell you for sure that I am not "trying to hard" - I wasn't trying to make a sensational work of art, I just thought it turned out kind of neat and looked quite pretty.
Thanks for the input anyway.
 
I kind of like it although personally, I would have left the foliage and background more muted.
 
You're trying too hard.
+1, post processing is not supposed to create a new image, its supposed to show how the subject really was before going through the camera, so adjusting colors and brightness, not super saturating everything

i think i disagree with this statement.
one could use a photo as a base and make something totally different with processing.
post processing is 'supposed' to do whatever the photographer/artist envision as the final product.
 
I like the philosophy of "less is more". In one of my Photoshop classes the instructor said that subtle edits are far better than drastic. Don't bump the saturation a bunch, just a little. Don't bump the contrast a ton, just enough to get the effect you're going for. If you ever have a slider in lightroom all the way over on either side, chances are you've over done something. :)

Of course I'm speaking in general terms. Sometimes you want to over do things for creative reasons. But often times new users have a tendency to over do things.
 
You're trying too hard.
+1, post processing is not supposed to create a new image, its supposed to show how the subject really was before going through the camera, so adjusting colors and brightness, not super saturating everything

i think i disagree with this statement.
one could use a photo as a base and make something totally different with processing.
post processing is 'supposed' to do whatever the photographer/artist envision as the final product.
Yes, but rarely have i seen a good post processed photo or an "artistic" photo created from lightroom. Lightroom itself is meant to restore images, to the best of my knowledge, i wouldnt see why lightroom vs photoshop would be preferable. I like the edit if it wasnt for all the noise IMO.
 
You're trying too hard.
+1, post processing is not supposed to create a new image, its supposed to show how the subject really was before going through the camera, so adjusting colors and brightness, not super saturating everything

i think i disagree with this statement.
one could use a photo as a base and make something totally different with processing.
post processing is 'supposed' to do whatever the photographer/artist envision as the final product.
Yup, some guys cut up images, superimpose images on top of images, render digital elements, etc. But a new user trying to tweak the colors and saturation of a flower picture isn't one of those types of users. :)

If he were a CS3/4 guru then sure, go crazy with things. But a new user just starting out with Lightroom probably wants to back off the sliders just a wee-bit IMHO.
 
post processing is 'supposed' to do whatever the photographer/artist envision as the final product.
i agree with that. if you feel like over-saturating etc. that go for it.
although we don't have to like it :)
enjoy pp-ing!
 
got it....see i am not a LR user, but a photoshop addict.
so i get what youre saying. lightroom is meant to 'develop' not go crazy and get creative. that's what my beloved PShop is for ;)

thanks for clarification! :D
 
+1, post processing is not supposed to create a new image, its supposed to show how the subject really was before going through the camera, so adjusting colors and brightness, not super saturating everything

i think i disagree with this statement.
one could use a photo as a base and make something totally different with processing.
post processing is 'supposed' to do whatever the photographer/artist envision as the final product.
Yes, but rarely have i seen a good post processed photo or an "artistic" photo created from lightroom. Lightroom itself is meant to restore images, to the best of my knowledge, i wouldnt see why lightroom vs photoshop would be preferable. I like the edit if it wasnt for all the noise IMO.

Lightroom is preferable to photoshop to me because I can't afford to buy software. Lightroom was free, so I went for it. Poor people tend to be happy with what they can get, and therefore have the ability to use things for more than their intended use.
I don't know how to reduce noise, could you explain to me what you are talking about pertaining to noise? Thank you.
 
Um, noise is is generally the effect of having a high ISO on cheapish SLR's, i havent seen in lightroom wether you could remove noise, but might want to look into photoshop if this is your type of thing.
 
from what i now know about LR...LR and PShop are totally different animals.

that's like comparing bridge and PShop.

try noiseninja for noise reduction.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom