First Try at night photography

first try here at this link. let me know what everyone thinks. i know i need to do this with a trypod i just have not invested in one yet. let me know if there ok considering not having trypod.

thanks.

hi, the link for the photos is missing ?!?!?

there is far to many pictures there to critque on... i would suggest picking your favorite 2 or 3 and posting them directly in this thread, you'll get my comments that way

2597600170027417334S500x500Q85.jpg

2594166510027417334S500x500Q85.jpg

2055866190027417334S500x500Q85.jpg

2087244790027417334S500x500Q85.jpg

2621902510027417334S500x500Q85.jpg

i didn't think they were half bad for not having a tripod and doing it in a noreaster tonight in atlantic city nj

I like the second one the most, it's got a nice interesting perspective.

I like the second one as well, although I think I see a little bit of diffraction in the lens to the far right side, which is a bit distracting. I also really like the fourth one's colours, although I'm not too keen on the spotlights in the background. They look good, but IMO, they distract you too much.

thanks for your opinion's. i am not 100 percent sure but the lens thing is probably water. it was pouring with a wind about 35mph. tried to wipe water off often but its ok i guess.

oops I meant to say the third one, the third one is my favourite :)

hmmm...

Overall, I'd say you need to work a bit on your subjects, but I'm guessing you were more playing with the methods than anything, which is fine.

#3 in post #4 was probably the most interesting and had the most potential.

They all suffer from the same general problems, but fret not... this is how you learn, right? So, here are some quick tips....

1. Always use a tripod if you can, or set camera up on something solid if desperate.
2. Err on the side of overexposure and then tone it down in post processing. It will look wrong to you on the screen on the camera, but trust me- if you expose it the way it looks to you when you're there, you won't have enough data to make a good image.
3. Shoot in raw. Always shoot in raw. ALWAYS shoot in raw. You need the leeway that raw will give you to get colors and exposure correct.
4. This is the ultimate "paint with light" experience. Look for things that look really neat or would look really neat when the light gets to play. Try to visualize what happens to light where you are looking if you captured it all for 30 seconds. :)
5. Always use manual focus in the dark and try to focus to infinity on longer off shots. Best bet every time for sharp images.

Keep at it!

Most reactions

Back