First try @ B&W any tips?

hopdaddy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt at looking for tonal changes any tips would be helpful and as always C&C welcomed
3967297549_f64e996d33.jpg

Camera:Nikon D90Exposure:0.006 sec (1/160)Aperture:f/5.6Focal Length:18 mmISO Speed:200

works good for me because you have all those different texture...

I like it

(the subject might be a litte centered for my taste.)

Did you use any filters? The contrast on this one looks neat. I've been experimenting with a red and deep yellow filter lately.

Speaking strictly regarding tonal values I would say that this is not too bad. You've got a good range of values represented, so the resulting image has snap. There is good detail in most of the subjects that matter (clouds, trees, grass, etc.) and none of the highlights are blown out. The trees stand out from their background because they are not too close in value, and the shadow areas add a sense of depth and contrast to the whole.

- Randy

(the subject might be a litte centered for my taste.)

I didn't want the limbs (top left) off the page,thus the crop.
thanks for the comments.......can't wait to see those Halloween pix:thumbup:

Did you use any filters? The contrast on this one looks neat. I've been experimenting with a red and deep yellow filter lately.
the book I'm reading does say to use red filters,BUT, I used a polarizer

Speaking strictly regarding tonal values I would say that this is not too bad. You've got a good range of values represented, so the resulting image has snap. There is good detail in most of the subjects that matter (clouds, trees, grass, etc.) and none of the highlights are blown out. The trees stand out from their background because they are not too close in value, and the shadow areas add a sense of depth and contrast to the whole.

- Randy
Thanks for the comments.
I may be reading into your post ,but ,there seems to be something about the picture you don't like.Please point out the negatives,as it's the only way i can improve.I realize a tree isn't the most interesting subject,but i plan to shoot this tree all 4 seasons"as a study of light" angle ,temp,color,etc. something i read.. again thanks to all who posted

If you are actually shooting black and white, and not photoshoping, I recommend getting some color filters (red darkens sky's, etc...). This is somewhat of a lost art since digital, but the texture/contrast variances you will get will make your photos pop!

Research the filters, Colkin used to have good info on thier site.

Id love to see the uncropped version if there is one!
It appearers i have used 103% of my available flikr account for this calender month ,I'll try again tomorrow, or after 12 tonight.:confused:
DSC_0029.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shot. I would like to see it a touch darker so that you get some detail in the highlights. It is too centered, I wouldn't worry about cropping branches, play around with it til it is pleasing to the eye, and not centered. Or go with the original uncropped image.

Thanks for the comments. I may be reading into your post ,but ,there seems to be something about the picture you don't like.Please point out the negatives,as it's the only way i can improve.I realize a tree isn't the most interesting subject,but i plan to shoot this tree all 4 seasons"as a study of light" angle ,temp,color,etc. something i read.. again thanks to all who posted

Well, to be honest, the composition doesn't really do much for me, but I restricted my initial response to just the treatment of tonal values since that's what you asked for. The two trees somewhat balance each other, but center weighted composition generally only work well in special situations. When I look at this I want to move up to the dead tree to see the detail in it's trunk, the branches, etc. That said, knowing what you were doing does help interpret the image in a different light and it gives me a better handle on how to think about what you've presented.

Given that I don't know what you had to work with other than what you've presented here, I can only make general suggestions for alternate approaches to this subject. I would probably, had I been working with this subject, considered what I could get from a different viewing angle. Eye level perspective is very common, and when coupled with a fairly common subject you tend to get a bland result. Shooting from grass level up into the branches may have been interesting and working some up close and personal shots of the branches or trunk might have yielded some interesting results as well.

Please don't take this too harshly - I don't hate it by any means, it's just not an overly strong composition. Like I said above though, I think that you've got a good handle on using tonal values to good effect.

- Randy

Thanks Randy
This is what i come to TPF for,"If i want a pat on the back" I post on flikr!
by no means is you post harsh.
I did several shots(8 to 10). Different times of the same day,diff angles,diff comps,
however the original idea WAS B&W.the picture I posted seem to have the most tonal range,but still wanted pointers to get better.

Last edited:
Mainly horisont is not straight common beginners mistake,,,conversion ok...sometimes central compositions works but this is not that time...

good try...try again...

Most reactions

Back