Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First Veteran's Portrait Project session of 2020....

Palle_VPP.jpg

LCdr Jan Palle, CD. RCN (Ret'd)

As always great job!

I like that side light John. It creates a strong shadow without it dominating like Rembrandt lighting.
There is just a touch of light on the background which allows your subject's dark uniform edges to be noticeable along the shoulders and his neck shadow on his right to not blend with the background.
There isn't any glare from his medals.
Excellent skin tones.
Any skin retouching you might have done is so subtle as to be unnoticeable.

This is really top notch.

Last edited:
Beautifully done John. As usual.

I like that side light John. It creates a strong shadow without it dominating like Rembrandt lighting.
There is just a touch of light on the background which allows your subject's dark uniform edges to be noticeable along the shoulders and his neck shadow on his right to not blend with the background.
There isn't any glare from his medals.
Excellent skin tones.
Any skin retouching you might have done is so subtle as to be unnoticeable.

This is really top notch.
Thank-you for the kind words; much appreciated!

Beautifully done John. As usual.
Thank-you Sharon! :)

wow he looks so proud.. and we are proud of him.. and he must be very happy with this photo

Good shot.

As far as critique goes, I think the figure of his uniform is lost in the dark background, and some separation would add a great level of depth to this portrait. As well, the lack of noticeable catch-lights in his eyes takes away a lot of potential connection between me as the viewer and the subject of the portrait. A stronger catch-light would also give his eyes some life, whereas currently I feel that the eyes lack "life". I see that there are very small ones in his eyes, but to me they look like they were added in post and have a very fake look to them.

Most reactions

Back