First Wedding... Sorta

odagled

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.delgadophotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Background: I've been shooting since 2008. Since then I've shot small, backyard events. Only these past few years have I moved onto corporate events and a weddings. I've been a 2nd shooter for a wedding under a seasoned photographer who has been guiding me, for which I am grateful. 2015 and I'm pretty confident in my understanding of my cameras, composition, editing, etc. So when my friend asked me to shoot her wedding I accepted with her understanding it's my 1st solo wedding. So I suppose this is my first real wedding, even if it wasn't super big & high budget, I'm still proud to get one under my belt. I suppose what I want from this post is critique.

Gear:
D600
70-200mm 2.8G VR1
35-70mm 2.8D
85mm 1.8G
60mm 2.8D Micro
20mm f/4 Ais
24mm 2.8 Ais

D7000
18-70mm 3.5-4.5

SB-800
SB-600

Notes:
Since moving to Fx full frame, I've found the image quality of the D600 to be amazing. It makes the D7000 look cruddy in comparison, especially at higher ISOs. I've also been able to fix an underexposed image without degrading it and that has Saved me plenty of times.

What I've learned:

There's is never enough time. Something always goes wrong. I think I understood the limitations of my gear further. The D7000 just doesn't give me the IQ I want at higher ISOs, which ends up with me working on it longer in Lightroom. This made me purchase a D700 which I found used with ~11,000 activations for $770. I HAD TO JUMP ON IT.

I learned that AF is extremely important in low light. The D600 and 35-70mm struggled sometimes. This also influenced me into getting a D700. The D750 is way better at low light AF I hear, but is still a bit too much money for me currently. The D700 should be better than my D60o. It will do in the meantime if I ever do decide to purchase a D750.

Speaking of the 35-70mm, I found that it wasn't wide enough sometimes. Checked on Craigslist and found a 24-70mm 2.8 for $1000. Once again, I had to jump on it.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably include a 2nd shooter. Oh and extra memory cards. I filled up a 32GB card about 3/4 of the wedding.

image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Few things-

firstly it looks very good to me (I'm not a pro), but you have to many photos for a proper critique. I would suggest you post a few photos, maybe 5-10 max and get critique there. If you have a link to the rest allow people to go and look at more then.

FWIW from what I see you get thumbs up from me

If I were to do it again, I'd probably include a 2nd shooter.
Apparently it had not occurred to you to cut your partner in on this action. The professional wedding photographer who has mentored you might have been offered the chance to bid on this wedding.

The only other comment is; "holy complete wedding shoot, Batman!" That is a lot of photos to post, and I assume you weren't expecting C&C on the entire set.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably include a 2nd shooter.
Apparently it had not occurred to you to cut your partner in on this action. The professional wedding photographer who has mentored you might have been offered the chance to bid on this wedding.

The only other comment is; "holy complete wedding shoot, Batman!" That is a lot of photos to post, and I assume you weren't expecting C&C on the entire set.

Well I would've included the other photographer, but the bride is a good friend of mine since middle school. She wanted me to shoot it since we go way back. Her budget wasn't high to begin with so I did it for low as well. Def not enough for a pro.

Also yeah, I guess I went overboard with the pics. Haha! I suppose I wanted to show the wedding overall. Seeing as it was my first one, I wanted critique on if I missed something? Or possibly if you would do a scene differently? Idk.

Possibly it may help out others just starting with their first weddding.

Few things-

firstly it looks very good to me (I'm not a pro), but you have to many photos for a proper critique. I would suggest you post a few photos, maybe 5-10 max and get critique there. If you have a link to the rest allow people to go and look at more then.

FWIW from what I see you get thumbs up from me

Rats. That didn't occur to me. Now I know for the next time! Thanks!

Wow that's a lot of photos.

I think your detail shots are the best (ring, shoes, dress). You've got some good people shots too, but a lot of them seem more like general event photography than what you would expect in a wedding photographer's portfolio. As in, they seem like the people in the photos are a bit disconnected from the photos, possibly because of the compositions.

But they're still nice, sharp, and well exposed, and I'm sure the bride and groom will be happy. So good job on a first wedding.

Wow that's a lot of photos.

I think your detail shots are the best (ring, shoes, dress). You've got some good people shots too, but a lot of them seem more like general event photography than what you would expect in a wedding photographer's portfolio. As in, they seem like the people in the photos are a bit disconnected from the photos, possibly because of the compositions.

But they're still nice, sharp, and well exposed, and I'm sure the bride and groom will be happy. So good job on a first wedding.

Thank you! This is the type of critique I was thinking of. I'm more of a corporate event photographer so you hit the nail on the head. I'm going to work on this for the next time. Still have lots to study.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back