First wedding...$?

You are right Big Mike. I just found out more news, its in July...lol For some weird reason I thought it was in March but oh well...more time to get ready.

By then I should have a backup body, two flash brackets, two flashes and so on. I have a few small portrait jobs in the coming weeks so that will help pay for the above. I might also find another photog to help. I might also have experience as an assistant so I will discuss fees a little further down the line.

Remeber to factor in:

Time (shooting, consulting, and post... post is going to be at least double that of the wedding if you edit all of them)
Gas
Wear and tear on your cameras/computer/joints (okay.. kind of kidding about the last one :lol:)

That is the bare minimum to look into

I would probably recommend if they want to go cheap and you are willing to accomodate that is to offer the prints in an album as a seperate price, perhaps $200 more (which is a steal). There is no point going through all of the trouble of finding an album, printing the images, arranging them, etc, etc, when they could do that themselves.

Just a thought.

If you have never done a wedding before you should not do this. I think you are asking for trouble wanting to charge someone $500+ for a wedding when you have never even done one yourself.

if you have never done a wedding, you shouldnt be charging anything but cost! if they are getting you cuz they figure you are cheap...then fine, but lay all your cards on the table. YOu dont need an assistant or a second shooter....but you must have backup camera.

What would you consider cost? Just the cost of printing and the album? If so, that's crazy. I may have never done a wedding before today but that doesn't make me worth zero. Also, please don't forget this wedding is in July and I am supposed to be assisting a photographer in the coming weeks.

So, this may not be my first wedding but it will probably be the first wedding that I am the sole photographer at.

I appreciate everyone's comments...please keep them coming!

if you have never done a wedding, you shouldnt be charging anything but cost! if they are getting you cuz they figure you are cheap...then fine, but lay all your cards on the table. YOu dont need an assistant or a second shooter....but you must have backup camera.

Well said...

Okay guys I'm back! I shot two weddings this weekend...both times as the second photog. I really enjoyed myself and I now work for two different photogs. The one I went out with this weekend is amazing...I learned so much. I also attended a 4 day workshop on weddings last week.

The two weddings were completely different. One was in a huge church with 10 bridesmaids and 10 groomsman and a couple of hundred attendees. The second was an outdoor wedding with no bridesmaids or groomsman and there was only 14 people (including the bride and groom).

I have all of the picture on my computer at home (I am at work) but I think I did a great job. I do have one picture with me so I will post it, let me know what you think...it was my favorite. There was no flash allowed in the church and we had to remain at the back of the church.

bestweddingshotaq9.jpg

Thanks!
Mike

I'm not overly keen on the flare on the bottom right of the image but the image does have a nice feeling to it

Yeah, I actually took that out in post but posted the wrong image...here it is cleaned up.

bestweddingshotit3.jpg

Thanks!
Mike

please tell me you backed up those images on your computer. Hopefully the ones on your computer are not the only copies. When I'm done shooting something as important as a wedding I put the images on my computers HDD, and external HDD, and burn them to a DVD...it may be overkill but I'd absolutely kill myself if I lost someone's photos from a wedding.

Currently, they are on my computers hard drive, my external hard drive and my favorite 188 are on a DVD...is that enough? lol

While I am not TOTALLY excited about the image you posted I think you are taking an excellent approach to this whole thing. The seminars and working as an assistant are the best way to learn everything you can before getting thrown into the water feet first. One thing and I am sure you have this figured out already, at the price you are charging an assistant or second shooter is pretty much out of the question. I imagine you have your feet wet enough now to know how to cover the wedding alone and really, it is best to learn how you work alone before you start having to boss someone around and have a say in what they are shooting.

Things are really picking up for me. Currently I have 4 weddings in March to shoot and I am the second photog on all 4. I also have another photog that is sending me his dates so I will be busy.

I do have someone that wants to hire me for October and I do believe that is far enough out and I might take it. Depending on how large the wedding will be, I might get another shooter but for now, I will just take my wife along to assist. By then I should also have a back-up body.

:thumbup: Thats awesome you are getting many opportunities to learn wedding photography with many different photographers. Im very glad to hear you are achieving much success and your an O-town floridian like me as well :D I see you are looking for a second photographer and i would love to help you out, I would even do it for free just for the experience and knowledge But i have no where close the gear needed for that lol. Good luck on your future wedding events

Most reactions

New Topics

Back