First Wedding

Read the last paragraph in my post.

lol so I get a "awesome pics" from one wedding photographer, a "nice overall" from a model photographer and a "not bad" from another wedding photographer. But then I get a "bad" from a architectural photographer and some guy. I don't really know what to make of that but thanks for all the input.

It is up to you to take the crit as you see fit...or dont take it at all.

If a wedding photographer likes your stuff, then great. its his opinion. If you want to just listen to take and move on, great.

But remember that no matter who the critiquer is, we all see things a different way and everyone may have something valid to say.

Count yourself lucky you get variety... most CC here are drones who just tell you "nice job" and think that if they make nice nice with everyone, this will make them a better photographer

lol so I get a "awesome pics" from one wedding photographer, a "nice overall" from a model photographer and a "not bad" from another wedding photographer. But then I get a "bad" from a architectural photographer and some guy. I don't really know what to make of that but thanks for all the input.

It is up to you to take the crit as you see fit...or dont take it at all.

If a wedding photographer likes your stuff, then great. its his opinion. If you want to just listen to take and move on, great.

But remember that no matter who the critiquer is, we all see things a different way and everyone may have something valid to say.

Count yourself lucky you get variety... most CC here are drones who just tell you "nice job" and think that if they make nice nice with everyone, this will make them a better photographer

+1

So Pierre how did yesterdays wedding go? Wheres the shots so I can make nicey nicey with you. ;)

Sorry about the hijack. Most people have already commented anything above what I would have said.

lol... 1500 pictures will take some time to go through. If you find my thread here about the shoot, I did post up one there =:)

wow.

1. Processing is a little harsh, but otherwise not overly offensive. just kinda meh.
2. Honestly my reaction was "wow, looks like an animated torso of a bride coming to get me." Creepy and weird.
3. Very harsh and he looks ridiculous in the shades, but you said they insisted.
4. Is this a wedding or a high school garage band? Sorry- likely not your fault, but between the shades and the dorky poses in some park or whatever... wow.
5. Fine, I guess. The cutoff bothers me, but whatever.
6. Dark and creepy.

Sorry, harsh I know, but the "good job!" responses really kill me, and frankly I find these to be pretty ... well ... bad.

I guess I see this of more of a comment than a critique. Its not constructive or helpful its just a statement of your opinion. And by your comment of number four I don't think you know much about wedding photography. Now obviously number four isn't some masterpiece but it captures who the groom is. He's a real goof ball and he goofed off the entire wedding. So his wedding photos should capture that personality that is his. which this does. and ill agree that technically this isn't a great photo but once again this is in his backyard mid-day. While id love for every picture to be perfect wedding photography is very situational. sometimes your situation sucks and you have bad lighting and a bad setting and there isn't a darn thing you can do about it. That was this wedding in a nutshell. now for number six there was a crowd of people and white folding chairs behind the cake that I didn't want in the shot. so once again theres not much else I could of done. And while anyone can have good input, generally I'm looking for critique from fellow wedding or at last people photographers. Just like a heart surgeon is going to want a second opinion from another heart surgeon. Sure the pediatrician might have some input but thats not his specialty so your not going to second guess yourself based on his opinion. So I need to work on my composition. I was going to school for graphic design before photography and thats where I learned about composition first. I think thats whats messing me up. I like to anchor things to the frame(the wedding invitation for example)
and I stick to the rule of thirds too much.

Really?

First of all, everyone's statements here are a matter of opinion... unless you'd like me to break out all the boring "rules".

I don't think someone needs to be an architectural photographer to tell me that the processing is harsh, or that the building looks kind of flat, or that perspective correction might be a good idea.

Nor do I expect I need to be a wedding photographer to tell you that your cake in the darkness is a little peculiar, or that the wedding dress hanging somewhat randomly under a tree without any visible suspension looks a little strange, or that the processing on an image is a little harsh.

You are well within your rights to completely ignore my critique if it doesn't suit you... and yes, they are critique... but I think your attempt to discredit my comments because I don't fit your personal rule set is a bit presumptuous.

When you get right down to it, you didn't like what you heard from me so you bristled and lashed back. If you were confident in your work, you'd simply say "Well, I don't agree, but I appreciate your comments" or perhaps "Well, that's interesting... can I ask why you say that?"

My suggestion to you would be to toughen up a bit, but I imagine you'll get all ticked off at that too.

*shrug*

Really?

First of all, everyone's statements here are a matter of opinion... unless you'd like me to break out all the boring "rules".

I don't think someone needs to be an architectural photographer to tell me that the processing is harsh, or that the building looks kind of flat, or that perspective correction might be a good idea.

Nor do I expect I need to be a wedding photographer to tell you that your cake in the darkness is a little peculiar, or that the wedding dress hanging somewhat randomly under a tree without any visible suspension looks a little strange, or that the processing on an image is a little harsh.

You are well within your rights to completely ignore my critique if it doesn't suit you... and yes, they are critique... but I think your attempt to discredit my comments because I don't fit your personal rule set is a bit presumptuous.

When you get right down to it, you didn't like what you heard from me so you bristled and lashed back. If you were confident in your work, you'd simply say "Well, I don't agree, but I appreciate your comments" or perhaps "Well, that's interesting... can I ask why you say that?"

My suggestion to you would be to toughen up a bit, but I imagine you'll get all ticked off at that too.

*shrug*

Lashed back? Really? Thats what you got from that? And I'm the one that needs to toughen up. Your right anyone can critique the technical aspects (Which is why I made no mention of that in my "back lashing") but there are other aspects that not everyone understands. You think a photo is bad because it looks like high school garage band instead of a classic wedding portrait. While I (and my client mind you) see it as a photo that captures their personality. And this is all what I said in my last post. So yes I don't think you have a good grip on wedding photography. But I think your right about the technical stuff. These photos are five months old and I have no idea why I processed them the way I did. I certainly wouldn't do the same now. As for the dress and the cake, I've seen other photographers get the same shot. And there was nothing to hang the dress on so it had to float. Is a ghostly hanging dress really that much different than a standing dress? Are you creeped out by the dresses that stand on mannequin at a store? Anyways I think just about covers it. And adding the
but the "good job!" responses really kill me, and frankly I find these to be pretty ... well ... bad.
Is a pretty good way to put someone on the defensive. You come across as a hater and all your "critique" goes out the window. In the future try just sticking to the critiquing and leave the judging to the clients. The thing that annoys me the most is were taking the time to write all this and its not even something productive. What a waste of our time.

I did say (perhaps not clearly enough) that while I didn't agree with the glasses thing I understood that the client wanted it. So my comments were essentially acknowledging but ignoring that.

Anyway, I'm tired of forum foolishness so I'm probably not tempering my remarks even as much as I usually do and I'm certainly not being as articulate on these points as I could or should be, so my apologies for coming across snarkier than intended.

I think pictures are the best when they reflect the personality of the couple. If sunglasses are his thing, a shot with them is him. The kind of thing not so likely to end up in the album, but more on his Facebook page to share with his friends. And that can be a good thing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back