Fishing Nets

DriedStrawbery

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot by the bay on a cloudy day.

Still working on composition, C&C appreciated!

Thanks.
IMG_20180808_093926_774.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

It’s a nice shot but personally I think it would have worked better in colour I’m only saying that as there is not much contrast it’s all very mid tones for me. However that being said if it was a dull day your a bit stuck either way but a blue sky would have set it off nicely. Great effort though

Great perspective!

It’s a nice shot but personally I think it would have worked better in colour I’m only saying that as there is not much contrast it’s all very mid tones for me. However that being said if it was a dull day your a bit stuck either way but a blue sky would have set it off nicely. Great effort though
Agree on the contrast. Was a v gloomy day.

Would this work better ? I added more (too much?) contrast at the sky and lost attention in the land-area. I tried, but did not like the outcome.

IMG_0592.jpeg

Agree on the contrast. Was a v gloomy day.

Would this work better ? I added more (too much?) contrast at the sky and lost attention in the land-area. I tried, but did not like the outcome.

View attachment 161764

The Composition is a lot better in this shot and the added contrast in the sky has helped the photo when compared to the original so thats all good. However I think you maybe chasing your tail a bit with this one as the whole scene seems a bit flat theres no real depth of field I would have personally knelt down and took it from a lower angle so you were looking along the wooden structure rather than looking down on it. There doesn't seem to be a start to the pic when I say that I mean the start of the wooden structure at the front of the photo is cut off would have been nice to see the whole structure from start to finish. Also one last thing some detail in the darker areas are lost as they are filled in to much. I don't intend to be harsh at all just saying what my personal view is and I'm in no way a professional at this, just giving my opinion.

Contrast is way flat on both images. I worked with the first one to try to balance the mid-tones to both the light-light's and super dark's. First and this is a common rookie error, watch your horizon line as you will see in my edit it is quite askew. My edit helps the image but in the long run as one other said: "you're probably chasing your tail on both shots."

nets.jpg

Contrast is way flat on both images. I worked with the first one to try to balance the mid-tones to both the light-light's and super dark's. First and this is a common rookie error, watch your horizon line as you will see in my edit it is quite askew. My edit helps the image but in the long run as one other said: "you're probably chasing your tail on both shots."

View attachment 161870
Can you share a little about contrast being flat, how to avoid it? Thanks

Are you shooting digital or film? Mostly though, in either format it is all about where you meter and the type of metering you are using. I think you would benefit from using matrix metering as a good foundation and as you become more adept, then experiment with spot metering. I pretty much shoot all Zone using spot metering but that's not going to help you much right now. My best advice is to meter for your gray tones. Buy a gray card and meter off that as it will give you a great 18% middle gray. Also, when processing in post production, don't switch to "gray," stay in RGB.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back