Fitness Portraits - Hit or miss? C&C requested

I like them! On #2, just north of his right bicep, there appears to be a bar or other equipment in the background that is perpendicular to the weight bar. Maybe get rid of this?

Aside from that, like others said, more aggressive lighting to showcase his muscles.

The second shot needs some cleanup on aisle #3..... PP on removing the background support post and extend the blackness to the edge of the frame.....
Mea culpa! :lol: I do have versions with a defined background. As for #2, can I ask what you don't like about the brighter area? I deliberately left that in after seeing it because I thought it provided some context to the image.
Okay, so I looked at the slightly larger version again, with my glasses on this time and then again after cleaning them. At first glance it did look like a background support post on the left side of the frame, but now I see it is part of the gym's wall. It still has a well defined sharp shadow on the wall for whatever that thing is. I guess that's what drew my eye. Perhaps accentuate that feature a bit more.

Also on the second look, there is something else to be cognizant about. Look at his arms in the overhead position. Notice anything odd? His right arm is clearly that of a dedicated athlete, but his left looks more like that 90lb weakling that has sand kicked in his face. A well positioned reflector for that arm to help contour with added light might be worth a go.

I like them! On #2, just north of his right bicep, there appears to be a bar or other equipment in the background that is perpendicular to the weight bar. Maybe get rid of this?

Aside from that, like others said, more aggressive lighting to showcase his muscles.
Thanks!

The second shot needs some cleanup on aisle #3..... PP on removing the background support post and extend the blackness to the edge of the frame.....
Mea culpa! :lol: I do have versions with a defined background. As for #2, can I ask what you don't like about the brighter area? I deliberately left that in after seeing it because I thought it provided some context to the image.
Okay, so I looked at the slightly larger version again, with my glasses on this time and then again after cleaning them. At first glance it did look like a background support post on the left side of the frame, but now I see it is part of the gym's wall. It still has a well defined sharp shadow on the wall for whatever that thing is. I guess that's what drew my eye. Perhaps accentuate that feature a bit more.

Also on the second look, there is something else to be cognizant about. Look at his arms in the overhead position. Notice anything odd? His right arm is clearly that of a dedicated athlete, but his left looks more like that 90lb weakling that has sand kicked in his face. A well positioned reflector for that arm to help contour with added light might be worth a go.
Good point on the reflector; I thought both arms looked pretty impressive, but that's just because I'm comparing them to my own. This will definitely take a little more set-up and rehearsal to nail then I originally thought. Learning is good! :)

Interesting advice, I happen to have a shoot for a male fitness model on Friday so I'm taking notes. :D
Good thing you said 'male' - I was about to ask if Gran had given up the guitar for a weight-lifting career! :lol:

I thought you all might be getting bored with seeing her (comparatively) varied and exciting lifestyle ... also got a shoot coming up with an equestrian girl who wants to be a model and possibly a couple who make clothing for Victorian and Edwardian reenactors. Trying hard to expand my portfolio. :D :D :D

I wish you had higher res versions but I think the high contrast BW works for fitness. Hard shadows make muscles look more defined.

$Bruno (2).jpg$Bruno (1).jpg

Ditch the first one. You know as well as anyone (because you preach it so much) "football shoulders" are a no-no! Having the ball out in front like you have makes him look goofy rather than confident and fit. Have the ball resting in the crook of his elbow or in the beginnings of a throw/toss. Also you know as well as anyone (because you preach it so much), there should be clear definition between subject and background. More cowbell.

The second shot needs some cleanup on aisle #3..... PP on removing the background support post and extend the blackness to the edge of the frame.

For having only twenty minutes, you did very well.

That reminds me of one other general piece of advice when shooting fitness: it's been my experience (everyone else's may be different) that unless your model is very experienced, when shooting fitness concepts (with athletes or weightlifters or any other activity), you can't trust them to pose themselves. You need to be explicit in your direction. A competitive body-builder may assume a pose that works for the judges or on a live stage but with a photo, it comes off as narcissistic. Athletes may know their activities and their bodies but we need to substitute our judgment for their's when it comes to poses and what translates well into film/pixels.

I wish you had higher res versions but I think the high contrast BW works for fitness. Hard shadows make muscles look more defined.

View attachment 82935View attachment 82936
Nice - I'd started some monochromes, but hadn't gotten a conversion I was happy with.

Ditch the first one. You know as well as anyone (because you preach it so much) "football shoulders" are a no-no! Having the ball out in front like you have makes him look goofy rather than confident and fit. Have the ball resting in the crook of his elbow or in the beginnings of a throw/toss. Also you know as well as anyone (because you preach it so much), there should be clear definition between subject and background. More cowbell.

The second shot needs some cleanup on aisle #3..... PP on removing the background support post and extend the blackness to the edge of the frame.

For having only twenty minutes, you did very well.

That reminds me of one other general piece of advice when shooting fitness: it's been my experience (everyone else's may be different) that unless your model is very experienced, when shooting fitness concepts (with athletes or weightlifters or any other activity), you can't trust them to pose themselves. You need to be explicit in your direction. A competitive body-builder may assume a pose that works for the judges or on a live stage but with a photo, it comes off as narcissistic. Athletes may know their activities and their bodies but we need to substitute our judgment for their's when it comes to poses and what translates well into film/pixels.
Spot on - again, where my own ignorance about the whole cross-fit concept shines through.

the second photo seems to have a slight greenish tinge. It appears on both my iMac and iPad.

the second photo seems to have a slight greenish tinge. It appears on both my iMac and iPad.
It does, due to the quicky compression app. I used to squeeze a 100mb TIF into a <100kb JPG. The colour in the full-res file is spot on.

Fitness photos need to really emphasise the prowess of the subject.

Your subject is obviously lifting weights, but we can't tell how heavy they are. We need to see some strain and grit - "Look how strong I have to be to lift this weight".

Lighting is really important in this kind of photography - the light needs to show muscles and ripples and sweat. Get the subject to tense up and flex their muscles - really exaggerate it, even if standing in a relatively relaxed pose. They will thank you for it when they see the shots afterwards!

HPTALT06 by Forkie, on Flickr

HPTALT04 by Forkie, on Flickr

HPTALT03 by Forkie, on Flickr

Personal Trainer #1 by Forkie, on Flickr

Fitness photos need to really emphasise the prowess of the subject.

Your subject is obviously lifting weights, but we can't tell how heavy they are. We need to see some strain and grit - "Look how strong I have to be to lift this weight".

Lighting is really important in this kind of photography - the light needs to show muscles and ripples and sweat. Get the subject to tense up and flex their muscles - really exaggerate it, even if standing in a relatively relaxed pose. They will thank you for it when they see the shots afterwards!
Great examples Ian, thank-you. You're absolutely correct; I'm going back for a do-over when we'll have at least an hour to shoot, AFTER I've sat in on a class and watched for a while to get a better appreciation of what's involved.

Cool! Look forward to seeing some more! Remember, he's a fitness instructor - put him through his paces!

My guy trained for 8 weeks for that shoot and he was aching the whole day after it because I basically had him flexing his muscles for 2 hours! Even standing with his arms folded, I told him to strain his arms.

A good trick is to get them to do a few press ups just before they step in front of the lens and anytime you think they're starting to relax. Press ups will make their veins pop and get them sweating a bit. A bit of baby oil works a treat too!

Cool! Look forward to seeing some more! Remember, he's a fitness instructor - put him through his paces! My guy trained for 8 weeks for that shoot and he was aching the whole day after it because I basically had him flexing his muscles for 2 hours! Even standing with his arms folded, I told him to strain his arms. A good trick is to get them to do a few press ups just before they step in front of the lens and anytime you think they're starting to relax. Press ups will make their veins pop and get them sweating a bit. A bit of baby oil works a treat too!

Is baby oil application part of your service or just a perk? ;)

Cool! Look forward to seeing some more! Remember, he's a fitness instructor - put him through his paces! My guy trained for 8 weeks for that shoot and he was aching the whole day after it because I basically had him flexing his muscles for 2 hours! Even standing with his arms folded, I told him to strain his arms. A good trick is to get them to do a few press ups just before they step in front of the lens and anytime you think they're starting to relax. Press ups will make their veins pop and get them sweating a bit. A bit of baby oil works a treat too!

Is baby oil application part of your service or just a perk? ;)

Hahaha! Unfortunately, if you want something done right, sometimes you have to do it yourself... Occupational hazard.

Would baby oil and a spray bottle of water work to simulate sweat?

If my subject wants baby oil on Friday he can apply it himself, I'm not that dedicated to my art.... and I'll be damned if I'll let Granny apply it for him! ;)

Most reactions

Back