Five from today for C&C

Eclectix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did some yard clean-up for an elderly friend today, and snapped a few pictures along the way. I would appreciate some thoughts on these pieces to help me gauge my progress. Thanks in advance!

$00IMG_4051 1000p.JPG

$00IMG_4075 1000p.jpg

$00IMG_4128 1100p.jpg

$00IMG_4130 1000p.JPG

$00IMG_4135 1000p.JPG

The ones that stand out for me are the first and last.

look at #4.
what could make it better?

A red hat and suit and some reindeer?

1, 4, and 5 standout to me.

1 - The bright spot at the top of the frame is a bit distracting and can easily be cloned out.

4 - I don't know what Lew had in mind but I think you needed a bit more space on the left.

5 - The building behind the car is distracting and the house roof behind that. Also a more 'dramatic' sky would have been useful.

Last edited:
look at #4.
what could make it better?

A red hat and suit and some reindeer?

LOL, he actually does volunteer work as a Santa Claus each year. I snapped this image spontaneously as we were organizing his woodworking studio; it made me imagine Santa in his workshop in the off-season, busy getting ready for the big day. I didn't anticipate the expression on his face; it came out a bit more concerned-looking than I thought it would, but then I imagine getting that many toys made for all those children would be a pretty daunting task after all.

I was unsure about the bright spot. My first inclination was to go with a second angle which didn't have it, but that angle was less flattering, and when I looked at it again the bright spot didn't seem to bother me anymore. But since a second set of eyes noticed it, too, I'll edit it away.

I think #4 is tilted and too dark.

Hmm, so it is. I can see that now. I simply hadn't noticed the tilt at all. I didn't see that it was too dark, either, but I think that's because my eye was biased due to the fact that it was quite dark in the work shed, so it just didn't look wrong to me. I think I need to work on seeing a photograph only for what is shown, and not for what was there when I took it.

First and last are best for me too. The last one is screaming 'nightshot' maybe at a different angle to remove some clutter.

He looks like an interesting man, say he has some good stories!

Hmm, so it is. I can see that now. I simply hadn't noticed the tilt at all. I didn't see that it was too dark, either, but I think that's because my eye was biased due to the fact that it was quite dark in the work shed, so it just didn't look wrong to me. I think I need to work on seeing a photograph only for what is shown, and not for what was there when I took it.

Right on the button.

Thats is a great point, I hadnt thought of it like that till now. I have been actively trying to replicate what I saw in most of my shots... not very successfully either. This should be something that gets repeated to new shooters. Very relevant in many situations.

Thats is a great point, I hadnt thought of it like that till now. I have been actively trying to replicate what I saw in most of my shots... not very successfully either. This should be something that gets repeated to new shooters. Very relevant in many situations.

Accept the fact that the camera is usually only a fair representation of how the shot moved you.
Replicate what you see as the great shot in your mind's eye.

#1 is the best for me, mainly because the shot is clear and purposeful and the colors are very pretty, some of the other ones are a little busy; I think for instance in shot #2 the branch in the side of the frame distracts from the main subject which I assume to be the pottery. I think it helps to have a vision before taking a shot unless you are in photojournalism where you might just want to accurately capture exactly what's going on, but for the more artistic side of photography I think it always helps to have a clear vision and to try to capture with our camera a mental painting that we already have in our mind, excellent photographers seem to be able to do this time after time after time and make it look so easy, I hope to reach that level someday!

No 5 is potentially a beautiful shot, but it needs to be cropped much much closer. Trim everything on the right side up to the line that goes above the back wheel, below - everything up to the upper half of the from shell, loose the bumper, on the left loose most of the radiator, and above trim part of the roof so that the hood line was at 1/3. I can not do it ATM, I only have a tablet. But it is well worth trying. I see a great shot here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back