fixed focal vs. zoom

99csvtoledo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what are the advantaged/disadvantages of fixed focal lenses and zoom lenses. im thinking bout buying a new lens with my stimulus check this is why i ask

It is generally accepted that fixed focal or prime lenses provide a better image quality.... prime lenses do have the more primitive zoom function consisting of your right and left leg... if you are one legged zooming is even harder using a prime...

and Zooms.... well.... they Zoom... but I'm sure you already know this...

Personally I couldn't live without zoom... but many people on this forum endorse the use of a 50mm prime as an excellent training tool... So it really depends on what your photographic intentions are...

It is generally accepted that fixed focal or prime lenses provide a better image quality.... prime lenses do have the more primitive zoom function consisting of your right and left leg... if you are one legged zooming is even harder using a prime...

and Zooms.... well.... they Zoom... but I'm sure you already know this...

Personally I couldn't live without zoom... but many people on this forum endorse the use of a 50mm prime as an excellent training tool... So it really depends on what your photographic intentions are...

im sorry what? zooming on a prime lens? I assume you mean focusing? =\

im sorry what? zooming on a prime lens? I assume you mean focusing? =\

No....:lol: He means walking towards or away from the target.

I am one of those people who will endorse the prime lens, Thay are better, you just have to walk a little more or change lenses. Of sixteen changeable lenses in my collection only two are zooms.

There are a few users around here who should be able to better explain exactly how they stack up to each other than I ever could, so I'll leave it to them.

to be honest im actually looking into this now (past few days) all i can say is that really a zoom sounds like a better deal than a prime....for me zoom gives you what a prime does and more because of the zoom function...but if you guys say that a prime has better image quality.......

i dunno, maybe someone could say what the advantages of prime are over zoom, would be great to know

I'm not an expert or anything, and I know there are a lot of other threads about this - so a quick search of the forums will turn up more information than I can tell you. (Maybe... I tried searching "prime vs. zoom" - not a single result came up. I know there's threads on that out there though.)

I personally prefer primes, although there are situations where a zoom is just more convenient. Primes are typically faster than zooms, so if you plan on using available light a lot that could be something to consider.

Once I'm where I want to be skill wise as well as equipment wise i'm probably going to at all times keep a 50mm, 85mm, and maybe 16-35.

Those will cover my main areas of interest and when I can only bring one lense that is easy to carry the 28-135.

whenever the shot really matters and I don't want to edit the photo really I wip out my 50mm which smokes its so fast and shoot away.

Primes for me are the way to go as for the price of one L lense I can have a few prime lenses that produce better images.

Since buying a prime lens, im truley converted! That lack of a zoom was a huge benefit to my photography, forcing me to concentrate more on composition rather than being on the lazy side, feet firmly planted in one spot!

That said though, zooms have alot of versatility to them which the primes do not.

i dunno, maybe someone could say what the advantages of prime are over zoom, would be great to know

To me some advantages of prime lenses over zooms are:

- Speed. Fast prime lenses are cheaper than fast zooms. For example, a f/1.4 50mm lens is much cheaper than a f/2.8 24-70mm zoom (2 stops slower BTW).
- Image quality (although with modern designs the difference might not be as clear as it used to be a few decades ago).
- Depth of field markings on the lens barrel of a prime lens are very convenient for hyperfocal focusing (those are inexistant on most zooms).

they each have their place.....I love my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 indoors, especially in low light areas where I do not want flash......outdoors, zooms come into play too, and offer increased flexibility

they each have their place.....I love my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 indoors, especially in low light areas where I do not want flash......outdoors, zooms come into play too, and offer increased flexibility

+1

Different tools for the job. You can get near prime quality zooms...they just usually cost over $1000, but often have other useful features (IS/VR).

im almost considering giving primes a look hahaha

what im not too keen about is for example wanting to shoot something that's in a place where i can't physically get to and not being able to zoom in

im almost considering giving primes a look hahaha

what im not too keen about is for example wanting to shoot something that's in a place where i can't physically get to and not being able to zoom in
In MY personal experience (which may be much different than yours), that doesn't happen a lot - and if it does I have plenty of time to change lenses.

but what I mean is not in the case of having 3 or 4 lenses, its in the case of having a 50mm only...and you see something that's a bit out of reach...with another you should be able to get it whilst with a 50mm you might not be able to and miss out on a great shot opportunity...thats what i mean..

Using a prime lens of any focal length will force you to think about your composition rather than using your DSLR zoom as a glorified point and shoot camera.
Images will also be crisper and sharper than with zooms and maximum will be bigger enabling you to take pictures in situations where the light levels wouldn't suit a zoom-unless you were using a tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back