Flash 101 & Nikon SB600

mrvgson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

A year after buying my first camera (D70), I am taking the next baby step. I bought a Nikon SB600 . (It was either the flash or a tripod - and after much debate, I decided to go with the Flash for now).

I just returned from the store and am planning to go through the manual to learn the basics.

Also, I had previously arranged a practice session at my friends place - I will be taking pictures of her 2 month old at their home tomorrow. I usually take pictures in day light/direct light. I am not yet certain if I will mess around using the SB600 tomorrow - depends on how much I learn today.

Meanwhile here are a few questions that I thought I could get your help on.

1. Batteries: The manual for the SB600 provides different options for batteries. One of them is the NiMH 2000 mA. I have a Sanyo eneloop rechargable batteries which have the following spec "AA HR6 1.2V Typ 2000mAh Min 1900mAh".
My question is on the specs. The camera store owner specifically asked me to use 2500 mAh batteries. What is the difference between 2500mAh and 2000mAh? Should I go out an buy a 2500mAh rechargable system?
If it is not significant, I will live with what I have. Just want to be certain before I start using it.

2. Please share any recommendations that you may have or good tutorials on the webs on learning to use the flash.

Thanks in advance.

cheers.

1 - It is not terribly significant. You will be able to take a few more pics with the 2500mA than the 2000mA ones. I use 1800-2000mA batteries and they last me about 250-275 flashes before needing replacement. I usually carry 2-3 sets of batteries when I know its for an event of some kind.

2 - http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-start-here.html

mAh is the amount of energy available in the battery. In other words the 2500 ones will last longer than the 2000 ones.

Once upon a time the flashes (and some cameras) were only rated for batteries that were 1.2V as opposed to the 1.5V you get with disposable ones but this does not effect you. Enjoy!!!

Make yourself a wishlist on your favorite on-line retailer (what...did somebody say B&H?) for accessories such as this. When you place an order you can refer back to the smaller items that are easy to overlook.

When I upgraded my NiMH batteries, I got a 10 pack of 2900mAh for about $25USD and a el cheapo trickle charger. As said, it's no biggy, just something to keep on the back burner.

Thanks All.

I took my first few test shots with the flash and am very thrilled with the capabilities.

Back to the reading.

cheers.

The only thing you should consider is battery voltage. If you get the 1.5v batteries, the flash recycle time is lower.

D70 haha suchh a memory, i went for a photography shootout with my friend and he was using a D70 and we were at a nature reserve..

we took a pic, swaps and marshes the pics. are beautiful..well for mine haha..he was careless and dropped his brand new camera into the swap haha and there it goes and the funny thing was the Comodo Dragons which were there came to thre camera and start licking it haha!!! so we had to call the Rangers haha he's camera was soaked and gone lucky thing was that nothng happend to mine haha so when he got back, he had a 10-hour lcture by his parents lolx...

bt overall, his camera, the D70 is a good camera..!!

The only thing you should consider is battery voltage. If you get the 1.5v batteries, the flash recycle time is lower.

The manual says
"Usable batteries: Install 4 AA type penlight batt (1.5V or lower) of any of these types:
1. Alkaline-manganese (1.5V)
2. Lithium (1.5V)
3. Nickel (1.5V)
4. NiCd (rechargable, 1.2V)
5. NiMH (rechargable, 1.2V)"

So if I go with the rechargable ones, then I guess my option is only the 1.2V one. (Further, I dont even know if these come in the 1.5V spec).

thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back