Flash advice please

niccas9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my first flash and it is the speedlite 270 ex. Not a bad lil guy, but definitely has its limits. I was wondering if I bought a 3rd party flash that is more powerful/versatile, would I be able to use that as a slave flash also or are slave flashes a whole separate entity. I am trying to acquire gear (lenses, flash, tripod) that will follow me if I decide to upgrade bodies down the road. Any advice would be helpful. Sorry if the question is dumb and thanks for the answer.

depending on the flash, it can be put in "slave" mode. it will basically fire when it see's another flash go off. So yes, a slave flash will work with your current flash. As far as I know, there is no "slave only" flash.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you both very much. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

KMH- I am going to research both of those and try and pick one up here soon. Thanks for the specific suggestions.

What about hand held flashes? I've seen a few photographers wandering around with them in their hands - I like the idea of having mobile light.

I use radio triggers and hand hold a light often. That is known as OCF (off camera flash) and is done to make the lighting more interesting by getting it off the lens axis, as it is when the flash is on the camera hot shoe.

You put the radio transmitter on the camera hot shoe, and a receiver on the flash unit. However with inexpensive radio triggers, TTL flash is usually no longer possible.

Here are a couple of inexpensive trigger/receiver kit: Yongnuo 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Receiver and Shutter Remote for Canon 1D/5D/7D/10D/20D/30D/40D/50D DSLR

CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes Other products by cowboystudio

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
These are amazing. wow. The Yongnu seems focused more for Canon. I've read the 15 reviews on Amazon and they seem to admit the Yongnuo is a good buy, apart from the minor problem of "failure mode," one buyer had. OCF is great technology for photographers.

Flash units that don't TTL can pretty much be used on any dSLR camera that has a standard hotshoe. Sony cameras use a non-standard hot shoe layout.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back