Flash between front and rear curtain

gabrielh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all!
I have Googled a bit without succes for this: I understand the difference between front and rear curtain sync flash and found how to do it with my camera built-in flash. But is it possible to fire the flash anywhere between the front and rear curtain during an exposure? So, say: with a shutter speed of 2 seconds, I want my flash to burst after 1 second in the middle of the exposure...
I will probably not be possible with the built-in flash (as I have read the manual without finding anything about it), but perhaps with an external flash like SB-600 or SB-800?
Thanks!
G.

Yes there is. It is called FP high-speed Sync. Refer to your camera's manual for more info or reference a google search for Nikon's CLS. You cannot control it and it is for very high shutter speeds.

At severely long shutter times, what is stopping you from popping the flash yourself manually at the 1, 2 or whatever second mark? That way you can also "paint" the scene with light in any manner you wish!

FP high-speed Sync is new to me, but I will surely look at it! But what do you mean by "popping the flash yourself manually at the 1,2 second mark"? I cannot pop out the internal flash during an exposure time. Can this be done only with an external flash then? Thanks!

FP high-speed Sync is new to me, but I will surely look at it! But what do you mean by "popping the flash yourself manually at the 1,2 second mark"? I cannot pop out the internal flash during an exposure time. Can this be done only with an external flash then? Thanks!

Yes... I forget that there are a few people that still use these things for something other than Nikon CLS triggers. On camera flash sucks in terms of quality results and I have not used on camera flash for quite a while now... I am obviously spoiled. :) I was referring to off camera flash, sorry.

There is very very little one can do with the built-in flashes in cameras other than light a small area or be used as Nikon CLS triggers for off camera flash. The latter is the best and only reason (IMHO) to have an on-board flash.

Ok! Thanks Jerry! An external flash (SB-600 or SB-800) is on my wish-list for in a few months!

What is the purpose of attempting to fire the flash anywhere between the front and rear curtain during an exposure? I really don't imagine your purpose.

In your example, to fire the flash after 1s for a totally 2s exposure, just hold an external flash in your hand (not on top of camera), press the shutter release button, count 1s in your heart and then press the flash trigger (on flash).

About FP high speed sync.:

In traditional flash exposure, maximum shutter speed is no higher than the sync. speed, which is the time required for the front curtain to completely move across the frame plus flash persistence duration. For short exposure (shorter than sync. speed), triggering flash will surely cause partial of frame being dark. You shall understand why it does if you understand how front and rear curtain cooperate to control shutter speed. Thus there's no mechanism on camera designed to allow such unsynchronous exposure. Most cameras will prevent you from setting shutter speed above sync. speed if flash is active (unless you're using incompatible flash).

FP high speed sync. is something very different from traditional flash exposure. It fires flash very quickly for multiple times during a short exposure to allow full frame being lit. So I don't think your question is about FP.

Indeed, my question was about it exists a flash trigger as I don't have an external flash yet... And thank you for answering! You have told me some new things about FP high speed sync... Cool ;)!

I never heard of any external flash trigger having a feature of delayed trigger. Maybe you can google it.

If you're going to buy a CLS-compatible flash, such as SB-400/SB-600/SB-800/SB-900, you'd better using TTL Command mode (I don't know if D40x support this. D70/80/90 support it) for off-camera flash control instead of an incompabile external flash trigger. Such trigger is used for studio lamp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back