Flash bracket recommendation.

Boney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a flash bracket for my Nikon DSLRs. I looked at Samys and they only had 2 to look at. Not all that impressive. Amazon has a bunch making it hard o choose. The pictures don't help that much. So perhaps you folks have a good recommendation. I need to get the flash away from the camera line of sight.

As with all equipment recommendations, budget is all imporant; you can spend from $30 - $300 on a bracket, how much are you willing to part with?

:lol: $400 bracket.

Depends on what you are wanting it to do!

Do you want the type the flips the camera for shooting vertically, or just the flash? Do you want compact or large? Extendable or solid? Portraits or Macro? Do you want to hold the whole thing by the bracket or the body? Lots of options!

What will it be used for primarily? And budget as mentioned above?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not sure why one would want to flip the flash and not the camera. Don't you normally want the flash wide axis to stay with the cameras wide fov?

Not sure why one would want to flip the flash and not the camera. Don't you normally want the flash wide axis to stay with the cameras wide fov?

On the Flash Flip type, you only flip the flash if you are flipping the body to vertical format... the brackets rotate 180 degrees, so the flash pattern still matches the FOV! I take it you have never used one?

On the body flip type, the flash stays stationary, and does not match the FOV of the flipped camera... but that has never been a problem, and I have used those also.

The advantage to the body flip is the ability to use bounce flash off of a ceiling no matter what the orientation of the camera.

The advantage to the body flip is the ability to use bounce flash off of a ceiling no matter what the orientation of the camera.

Yea.. I probably should have mentioned that also... just seems obvious! lol! That works with the Flash flip type also...

No I haven't used any of these new brackets. Back in the film days the flash brackets did not flip, at least the ones used by us amateurs. The built in camera flashes certainly don't flip, thus keeping the flash fov to follow the camera fov. I must be missing why one would want to do otherwise. Now a 180 deg lip would move the flash a little farther from the camera line of sight, which could be useful in certain situations.

Most reactions

Back