Flash causing delay in picture taking

Rebekah5280

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure how to word this issue, but please try to follow me here.. lol

So I have a speedlight that I use for fill light when I'm shooting out doors. I get it off camera on a stand when I'm shooting portrait/formal pictures, but I keep it on camera pointed up for fill when I'm doing events (weddings, birthday parties, etc)...
Recently, I have had an issue with a delay when I'm using the flash on my camera (Nikon D7000). I'll push the button halfway, lock focus and then when I go to shoot, I have to hold the button down and it takes about 1-2 seconds to actually take the picture. What is going on here?

Any troubleshooting advise?

My speedlights (I have two of the same and then a cheap flash unit) work great as slave flashes, just not on camera. And I upgraded to a D7000 from a D3100, the flashes worked just fine with the D3100.

Thanks!

you are probably on 2 second timer mode. I use it a lot for shooting on tripod without cable release or remote so I can minimize camera shake.

Could it possibly be the red eye function of the camera? I recall when I had mine set on the red eye feature and I posted about the crazy "pre flashes" it took about 2 seconds or so then the main "hit" went off.

Dunno if that's the case...but just something I thought of when reading this.

Could it possibly be the red eye function of the camera? I recall when I had mine set on the red eye feature and I posted about the crazy "pre flashes" it took about 2 seconds or so then the main "hit" went off.

Dunno if that's the case...but just something I thought of when reading this.
I second this opinion. But if your flash isn't doing some crazy pre-flashes then id guess its set on some type of delay.

What do you do when you shoot with a flash? Do you change any settings on the camera? Is it not doing it now but as soon as you put a flash on without so much as pressing another button it starts doing something?

Check to make sure "exposure delay mode" isn't activated in the custom menu functions. Check to make sure your SB-600 isn't setup to do something weird. Turn wireless off. Let us know how you go.

Make sure the batteries are fresh & strong. Especially when shooting outdoors, the flash will likely be using a lot of it's power, and if the batteries aren't fresh, it will take longer to charge up the capacitor. When using it on-camera, you are probably using TTL yes? That means that the flash will fire a pre-flash to determine how much power it will need. If the batteries aren't fresh, it may take longer between the pre-flash and when it can fire the flash for the actual exposure.

As you can see from these replies, using flash adds a level of complexity to doing photography.

With as little info as you provided all anyone can do is make an wild guess at what your problem may be.

It would be informative to others if you were to reply in this thread once you discover the root of your issue.

I'll add some info in a little bit.. I was going to do it right now, but my kids are crawling up my leg and I can't get a moment right now...

brb

OK.. So here are my trials:

I shoot Manual. I have the flash on M, but I tried it in TTL with these same results:

D3100 - Flash works perfectly.

D7000 - Flash works as mentioned in first post. Without the flash, camera takes pictures just fine. Batteries are fresh (I use rechargable Sanyos, I have a battery tester and batteries are at full power)

My camera is not on a delay, as it does not do this when I take the flash off.

I have another flash unit that does not do this (but its a cheap flash that doesn't move around so I cant bounce it like I can with my speedlights) with my camera. I'm so annoyed. I'd think it was the flash unit, but it fires correctly on my other camera...
I just don't know.
I'll check the red eye thing though..

Update:

Fiddling around a bit more, I have found that even my on camera/flip up flash causes the delay when on M, A, S, P. On "green" Auto, flash works perfectly fine...

And get this... IF I put my remote on the camera shoe, THEN I put the flash on the remote, it works fine/no delay. WTF?!

In the box where it lists AUTO on the top left. What is yours set on?

$top-1200.jpg

Everything is set the same when I am in Auto mode with the following exceptions: I Shoot RAW, and the ISO, A, S are set differently because on my current lighting here.

I also have my camera set to "Q" (quiet, so I don't get the obnoxious beep everytime I focus.

When I do have the flash on, in Auto, The Flash icon in the box does not have the word "auto" underneath it. When I take it off, it does.

Rebekah...funny that you should post this. I took my daughter to the zoo on Monday, and I notice that when shooting in manual exposure mode and using the pop-up for fill flash, that I was experiencing a slight delay also. I've never noticed this delay before, but it was def. there on Monday...

What kind of camera do you have Hawaii?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back