Flash diffuser for wedding reception?

Derrell that is a terrible comparison. The photographer should have tested to the same or nearly same exposure. The idea is to determine the softness of the light with different techniques. That array of images only shows how each technique alters the exposure. I'm not arguing the point, only the images.
Conveniently enough, this series of shots showed the GF Lightsphere to make the best light. Imagine that!

Derrell that is a terrible comparison. The photographer should have tested to the same or nearly same exposure. The idea is to determine the softness of the light with different techniques. That array of images only shows how each technique alters the exposure. I'm not arguing the point, only the images.
Conveniently enough, this series of shots showed the GF Lightsphere to make the best light. Imagine that!

Softness of light is all about the size of the light source compared to the size of the subject. These little add-ons don't really enlarge the light source enough to matter. They only make the photographer feel good. Soft light really requires making the light source larger than the subject. Bounce flash does that and always works better than some add on contraption.

They only make the photographer feel good.
And a few bucks if people buy his Lightsphere. That makes Gary Fong feel good.

One of the finest flash diffusers I've seen was the Norman brand 5 inch reflector, used by Texas wedding pro Joe Lacy, back in the early 2000's.This 5-inch diameter reflector throws a 130 degree beam spread, much wider than the typical 60-degree beam spread of many smaller reflectors in this general size. (Norman's own standard 5-inch reflector for their battery-powered 200 and 400 series flashes throws a 60 degree beam.)

Using this wide-angle reflector with the VERY powerful Q-flash, and adding a diffuser over the reflector front gave a very "large source" look to the light, even on long throws to the subject.

See this link Studio Reflectors & Related Accessories - 5 inch Reflector System to get a look at the type of flash reflector under discussion in this post.

Interesting idea. One of the best I have seen was a 1' X 6' strip box on a 13' stand at about 10' - 12' in the horizontal position with a white lighting X3200. For ease of use he had a wired remote attached to the stand. Allowed him to dial in the amount of light he wanted for the venue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back