Flash Drive problem & ??????

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, hope seomone can give me some advice. Last year my CD burner broke on my computer and I bought a 16GB San Disk flash drive. Upon first use I was instructed to set up my "secure access vault". The computer OS was Vista. I finally got a new computer last week running Windows 7. I just tried the flashdrive and it loads, a folder listing files. I click on my vault, then on files and when it opens there are no photos showing, just blank white squares and when I click on them I'm prompted to "open with" so I clicked PSE10, also tried windows photo viewer and nothing! Zip! Nadda! I get the message invalid jpeg marker.:grumpy: Any clue whats wrong or how I can get my photos back? I'm not up to speed on all the new technology of today and the flash drive did [to me anyway] seem tedious to use, too many steps to go thru over the ease of burning a CD, but I was always able to access my photos. Really upset because all of the impressionistic style flower shots I was working on last summer were on that USB stick. :( Not to mention a lot of other photos I can't replace. :(

I think I'm screwed. Did a quick search and it seems many think secure access is bad and they have issues with it. What I can't figure out is why I don't get a prompt on the new computer to install the software. I found a link for san disk tech support so going to try there tomorrow when I have more time and have had a chance to calm down a little.

Your files are still there, just Win7 doesn't recognize them for some reason. Try a fílé récõvéry prõgrám.

And hopefully my using those terms won't induce all the spammers to post.

Dagwood56;2965983I bought a 16GB San Disk flash drive. Upon first use I was instructed to set up my "secure access vault"[/QUOTE said:
The software that comes with flash drives and hard drives is always horrible, I never recommend using it.

I finally got a new computer last week running Windows 7. I just tried the flashdrive and it loads, a folder listing files. I click on my vault, then on files and when it opens there are no photos showing, just blank white squares
Sounds like the software encrypted your files.

I think I'm screwed. Did a quick search and it seems many think secure access is bad and they have issues with it.
Probably not screwed but like I said before software like that is always crappy.

What I can't figure out is why I don't get a prompt on the new computer to install the software
you probably deleted the installer that was on the flash drive. Its probably available for download on the manufactures website.

The important thing to note is that you should NEVER just have your images on a flash drive, you should also have them on your computer. You could completely loose the flash drive and then you would definitely be screwed.

Thanks guys. I just came from san disk tech support; I had to download the secure access software from the site. It comes up that I am using a "guest computer", but I was able to access the photos. Once I calmed down and began to think more rationally, the problem was Thankfully easily solved and fixed. Somehow I doubt that I'll buy a san disk Drive ever again unless there is a way to avoid the secrure access vault! Sheesh! What a mess!

.......... Somehow I doubt that I'll buy a san disk Drive ever again unless there is a way to avoid the secrure access vault! Sheesh! What a mess!

Learn not to choose the default settings on any hardware, software or firmware you get.

Somehow I doubt that I'll buy a san disk Drive ever again unless there is a way to avoid the secrure access vault! Sheesh! What a mess!

So your not going to buy their hardware because you had a bad experience with the software that YOU installed and chose to use.

That's kinda like saying that your never going to buy a Honda again because you chose not to buckle up and was injured in a accident.

Somehow I doubt that I'll buy a san disk Drive ever again unless there is a way to avoid the secrure access vault! Sheesh! What a mess!

So your not going to buy their hardware because you had a bad experience with the software that YOU installed and chose to use.

That's kinda like saying that your never going to buy a Honda again because you chose not to buckle up and was injured in a accident.

I use san disk for the camera, but if all their USB drives use secure access, then I'm not interested in their drives.

Most reactions

Back