Flash Exposure..

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After I got home from my class today I wanted to play.. I grabbed my daughter and took some test shots. My intent was to properly expose the background and my daughter. Her I eyes look funky, so I'm thinking I was too close. It's at an odd angle because I wanted to get the sky in the picture as well.

6705626167_77c19ef728_b.jpg

This is just something we did tonight..I took the kids in the backyard and messed around. They thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread!! :lol:

6705625723_05b72b4776_b.jpg

Not sure if here eyes are "Red-eye", or it's a reflection of the on-cam flash reflecting off her corneas.

Not sure if here eyes are "Red-eye", or it's a reflection of the on-cam flash reflecting off her corneas.

No, her eyes aren't red. Other than her eyes, does she look exposed right?? Thank you!!

The objects in the background are well-balanced with the flash, but the sky isn't. But you really can't do much about the difference between the truck/house and the sky unless you wanna start getting into elaborate field set-ups.

She look exposed okay...But shooting from below made shadows from her cheaks getting in her eyes. and the flash hit het body more than her face.

However the background is blown out. if you Uooed your shutter speed (provided it was below max sync) you could have exposed the sky better. If you weere at max sync aleady, Tighten your aperture and up your flash power to compensate.

Remember when you meter your background to meter what you want best exposed, If you wanted the sky right, meter on that

She look exposed okay...But shooting from below made shadows from her cheaks getting in her eyes. and the flash hit het body more than her face.

However the background is blown out. if you Uooed your shutter speed (provided it was below max sync) you could have exposed the sky better. If you weere at max sync aleady, Tighten your aperture and up your flash power to compensate.

Remember when you meter your background to meter what you want best exposed, If you wanted the sky right, meter on that

Thank you... I did meter the sky, however, I don't think I metered the brightest part, which is why part of it is overexposed, right?? Before I took this class the entire sky would have been completely blown out!!

Thank you... I did meter the sky, however, I don't think I metered the brightest part, which is why part of it is overexposed, right?? Before I took this class the entire sky would have been completely blown out!!

Yep, It's tough, depending on your metering mode, it could have averaged the whole scene behind her

Using the flash to overbalance the back ground like you did works and it doesn't work. The subject is brighter than the sky which is what you want but the light from the flash on the subject has over powered most of the ambient light leaving it harshly lit. Point your flash straight up and attach a 3x5 or bigger (the bigger the better) index card with a rubber band making it into a small reflector. This should soften the light a little and help.

oops, You probably used the built in flash, didn't you. Oh well, if you ever get a shoe mount flash, try what I said it will make a big difference.

Last edited:

Try using manual mode. Set your aperture and shutter speed to get the sky looking good (just take the photos and check it and then adjust as needed), and then turn your flash on. Aim it so it lights her, and adjust your flash power as needed, and then you've got it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back