Flash not flashing

Brienicole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So we moved this past week(hence my absence) and I havent had any photograph time.. so today when I sat down to finally take pics. I notice my flash on my nikon d40 didnt flash.. I reset it and everything.. seems as though I must send it to nikon for repair.. im sad ..does anyone have any suggestions before I send it off?? erghh I can take fine without it but its still frustrating knowing something on the camera isnt working the way it should!

The attached flash doesn't work? Hooray! ;)

It doesn't do anything but ruin pictures anyway.

Are you popping it up manually and trying to fire it, and nothing, or are you expecting it to pop up and it's not? You might be in a creative mode accidentally.

no its just not firing.. I dont ever use it but now that i know its broken.. its driving me crazy!!! Kwim..

Have you tried using a hotshoe-mounted flash? Possibly in the shop? High trigger voltages on (mostly older) flashes can mess up the flash circuitry in dSLRs. I've seen this done with a film SLR, the result was pretty much as you described. Anyway I expect it'll need fixing, because even if you don't mind the pop-up flash not working, chances are a dedicated flash won't work either.

I had my pop-up quit on my D70s I really never used it except as a master for wireless flashing but I can understand wanting it to work you paid alot for the camera all of it should work I think the best option would be if it is within the warranty to send it directly to Nikon I did and they did it fast and free.

The D40 is presumably fairly new. And you say you never used it, so it was obviously in that condition (re flash not working) when you got it. Depending on the policy of the store you bought the camera from, they may be willing to replace it with a new one and resolve the issue with Nikon themselves, thus saving you the inconvenience of sending the camera to Nikon for repair. Of course online retailers may not work that way, but at least it's worth a try.

well i sent it to nikon this morning. so I am without my camera .. wwahhhhh

Most reactions

New Topics

Back