Flash operation in Nikon D5200

Nerodit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I face problems on built in flash operation in the field in macro photography. Despite I work usually on manual mode during shooting and flash mode is in TTL or in manual mode it does not work immediately for some time 10-15 min and it starts to work later. In contrast it works immediately indoor or late in the afternoon or at dark conditions. I suppose that there is a sensor which permits its operation under some conditions. I wonder how to overcome the problem.

Your on-board flash in TTL mode will have some pre-flashes to help determine exposure.

In Manual mode you have to turn on your flash.
In AUTO mode it camera determines when.
You should be able to operate it any time, day or night.

I'm lost by it not working immediately unless you are shooting in continuous mode and heating it up too much. In which case it probably is shutting down to cool off.

either that or your "Flash Mode" is "AUTO"
in which case you have to press the flash button to the left side of the pentamirror area, then select "Fill Flash" in the menu system.
I think that's about right - I haven't touched a d5x00 series camera in a while.

If the camera mode is A, S, P, or M, and if you have opened the internal flash door, then the flash should fire with every shutter activation (regardless if flash mode is M or TTL). If it does not, then there is some problem, like possibly with the switch that detects flash door open.

Sometimes the shutter may not activate if auto focus cannot focus, and if the shutter does not work, then the flash is not triggered either. Sometimes this is reported as "no flash".

If camera is in Auto mode, then the camera decides if it needs to open the door and use flash.

With the camera close to a subject for making a macro photo, the lens may block light from the built-in flash from reaching your subject.
See pages 202 and 203 of your D5200 Reference Manual.

Most reactions

Back