Flash Pak compatability

PictureGuy_StJoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using a Canon 20D, and am trying to connect an old Novatron 2010 flash pack to it. We have a hot shoe that fits the camera but it doesn't trigger the lights. But slipping the connector cord into the PC outlet on the camera as opposed to the hot shoe will trigger the flashes. The only problem is that the pictures then are completely overexposed.

As far as I can tell, the camera has no way to meter the flash output. The PC outlet isn't a snug connection, it just kind of fits in there and the rubber cover holds the cord in place. My supervisor and I have tried to look online for an actual cord for our camera but we don't know exactly what we need, so it is hard to figure out what we want.

I hope I am making sense to someone. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

If the PC connection fires the light, then the hotshoe should as well. Sounds like maybe the hot-shoe adaptor isn't or wasn't snug or maybe it was faulty.

Either way, you are right, the camera has no way to meter the flash output. These cameras only meter flash when used with a dedicated flash (like the 430EX, 580EX or other brand 'dedicated' for Canon). And for that to be possible, they have to be attached to the hot-shoe (all 5 connection points) or they have to be connected with a Canon off-shoe cord. (They can be wireless, but you need a master unit, attached to the camera)

When using old/manual flash units or studio lights...you don't use the camera for metering, which means that you should have the camera in M mode. Using the PC connection is probably the best way to go.

To meter the flash, you should have a flash meter...although, trial and error (with digital) will eventually get you pretty close as well.

Thanks a lot. That worked great. It's nice being able to take my flash pak in it's case now, as opposed to moving my big softboxes and possibly breaking expensive bulbs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back