Flash photography in Fog

Craig L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This shot (before and after editing) was taken at the top of a mountain in a cloud. I didn't have the ability to put a strobe out to the side so this was taken with a flash unit and a detachable mini soft box/defuser. I know that having the flash not collocated with the camera would have been better from what I have read but I don't have that equipment (yet).

So here is my question... when shooting in fog what can be done to reduce the haze while still exposing the fog in the trees and background. Would moving the light sources off axis with the camera have a major effect? In a couple shots the flash didn't cycle in time and the haze wasn't there. I would like to shoot this again when I have the equipment to do it right, but I would like to get a better idea of what that equipment is. Anyone have experience with shooting with flash in fog/clouds?

(The photo on the left is unedited, the photo on the right I bumped up the blacks in the RAW editor. Any other suggestions welcome as well.)
fog.jpg

simple solution.. dont shoot with fog.

Craig that's what I did. I was out on the stage shooting a group perform and they turned the fog machine on. Raised the black level all the way and vola!

I say the opposite I like shooting in fog, I took this image with a small softbox off to the side (SB900) and a strip light with SB800 for backlighting. Looks like it may not have been as heavy a fog but if you would have let it clear just a bit it may have made for some decent shots.
-
JVA_3539usmcntBlchcntrIPFTW600.jpg

-
Shoot well and thanks for sharing, Joe

simple solution.. dont shoot with fog.

Using common sense tells me that it's not always possible to avoid environmental variables. derp

Fog is small droplets of water suspended in the air.

If you light the side of those droplets that are facing the camera (on camera flash), they will reflect that light back at the camera, and make the shot look hazy.

So, like you surmized, if you can change the angle the light comes from in the scene (off camera flash), the angle the droplets will reflect the light will also change.

Here is a valuable book to own if you want to learn the basics of how to do photographic lighting: Light: Science and Magic, Fourth Edition

If you have more than 1 light, you can light the fog behind your subject, and add additional drama to the scene

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi.. I am not a pro in photoshop.. But I saw that you photos are OK to edit so I made a try and here is what I came out with.. If you like the result, I will guide you on what I have done..

qw.jpg

I believe further refines can be made if more time is spent.

Cheers

Most reactions

Back