Flash Question

swmocity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a canon 430 ex flash...i have a question about the manual mode. i know how to change the power of the flash...1/64, 1/32 ect...but what exactly is the zoom function...i have been taking picture with different zoom setting but they all look they same...should the zoom on the flash match the zoom on my lens?

i have a canon 430 ex flash...i have a question about the manual mode. i know how to change the power of the flash...1/64, 1/32 ect...but what exactly is the zoom function...i have been taking picture with different zoom setting but they all look they same...should the zoom on the flash match the zoom on my lens?
The zoom function is kinda self explanatory if you think about it. It allows your flash to cover the output of the lens you're using. For instance, if you're using a 28mm lens and set your flash accordingly, the flash will spread the light for the appropriate coverage, vice versa at the tele end.

should the zoom on the flash match the zoom on my lens?
If you're using the flash on-camera and firing the flash straight ahead then yes, the zoom should match the lens.

If you're bouncing the flash off the ceiling, use a shorter distance setting if the ceiling is low and a longer distance setting if the ceiling is high. Same if you're bouncing the flash off a side wall.

Last edited:
You can be creative using zoom. Longer zoom narrows the beam.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back