flash suggestions

Trbo323

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so its come to be that time where I should look into a nice flash, problem is Im completely new to them, I dont know what features to look for or really what kind of a price range will get me something that will work well, all i really know is id like to find something that will swivel and turn around if possible to bounce light in whatever direction i need

i am currently shooting a sony A-300 and am planning on picking up a sony A55 soon

price range, if it can be around $200 or under that would be nice but thats not a strict rule

thanks

Have you done any research on your own over the last 8 days?

Did you know Sony uses an oddball, non-standard flash unit hot shoe?

Iv been trying to do research but seeing as im new to buying a flash i have no idea what Im looking for or what half the numbers mean, hence why i came here. and yes i know sony uses their own hot shoe but im getting another sony camera as we speak so thats not going to be an issue. if it works for one of my cameras it will work for the other.

I just dont know what i should be looking for

heres the list im looking at

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=643&N=4294204370+4294955916

Last edited:
Each flash unit will have a Guide Number (GN)...(given as a distance). That is the 'power' rating of the flash. The higher the GN, the more powerful the flash is.

You may not need the most powerful flash, but it's certainly nice to have the power when you do need it.

You will probably want one that works with the auto flash metering (TTL) of your camera. The non-Sony brand flashes may not work as well as the Sony models, but they probably do work well enough.

I would certainly suggest getting a model that both tilts & swivels.

Also look at the recharge rate, if you have find it. The longer the recharge rate, the slower the flash is...the longer it takes between shots. Some of the cheaper flashes can take a really long time compared to the better ones.

Build quality will also be an issue. The cheaper flashes are likely to be...well, cheap. This is hard/impossible to judge over the internet, but if you get a chance to compare some different flashes, in person, the difference is easier to see.

so theres a few on that list that use 4 AA batteries instead of a rechargable pack, i was wondering if theres any disadvantage or advantage there?

thanks for pointing out te TTL, thats one thing i was seeing and wondering what it was

I would think that all the flashes on that list use AA batteries. Mostly four cells, but the smaller ones might only use two. That is pretty standard.

Some might be compatible with a battery pack, but that's usually an external battery pack that you buy separately and were on your belt, connected to the flash with a cable. That is something that you might want if you're a professional and using the flash heavily as it gives you a long charge life and quick recycling, but most people are just fine with using AA batteries.

Speaking of which, I'd suggest getting a couple sets of good rechargeable batteries and a good charger. The most popular choice is NaMH batteries. There are two types; regular and 'low discharge'. Regular NaMH batteries will lose power as they sit. So if you went to use your flash, without having charged them in a month...they wouldn't last long. The low discharge ones will have a much longer 'shelf life'.
The popular low-discharge ones are called Sanyo Eneloop.
I don't much care about that, because I usually charge all my batteries before a gig anyway.
A good charger will increase the lifespan of your batteries. You want to avoid the cheap 'fast' chargers as they are likely to overheat the batteries. I prefer a charger that lets you choose the charging rate.
Welcome to Thomas Distributing - Rechargeable Batteries - Battery Chargers - Digital Camera Accessories Top Brands

ok that answered my battery question. I wouldnt say im pro but i am going into photo as a profession (currently working on my degree) so what would you look for if you were in my shoes beyond a flash that will swivel and tilt?

ok that answered my battery question. I wouldnt say im pro but i am going into photo as a profession (currently working on my degree) so what would you look for if you were in my shoes beyond a flash that will swivel and tilt?

This is a REALLY simple answer: buy the BEST flash that your camera maker offers. This has been true in the 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, and now the 2010's...good-better-best...simply purchase the BEST flash the camera maker offers. I am not being flippant or sarcastic. My reply is dead-on serious.

Failing that, purchase the best dedicated flash made by the Metz company.

Failing that, purchase the best dedicated flash made by Sigma, or Vivitar.

Failing that, buy multiple old-school-low tech flashes from Vivitar or Yonguno.

Nobdy knows anything?

The first thing you will want to learn about is off camera flash , here is a solid contender you can grow with ...and its a cheap price ,but a good quality speed light.... Lumo Pro 160
Hope this helps :wink:

RJ

I agree with Derrell. If you are using Nikon, get an SB900, if you are using Canon, get a 580EX.

gosh i was hoping to avoid the $500 flash, but i do trust your advice on these things

Sony HVL-F58AM Digital Camera Flash for Sony Alpha HVL-F58AM B&H

i could just barely squeeze it into my budget if forced but it wouldnt be pleasant. Im also trying to pick up a new backpack which would kill that idea for a few months

one more question, how do you sync a flash like this to the camera when running it as a slave flash? (i think thats the term, correct me if im wrong) would I need another piece of equipment for it?

They have a point: Nikon, get an SB900 or if you're using Canon, get a 580EX.

ok well im finding that ebay has some pretty decent prices so i think ill go that rout

Most reactions

Back