snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, it's raining out, and forecast is rain next 5 days! I figured I would try out the new camera inside with grandson and my 430exii speedlite. Now, I know I used it off-camera before, with my 7D. So I spent about an hour trying to figure it out on my new 5D before I realized there is no built-in wireless trigger!! DUH! So what do you all recommend for a trigger? I don't do a lot of flash, but I want to lean more about OCF. Thanks!

I got myself cactus transceivers when I started out. They're pretty basic, won't do anything fancy like TTL but they do have a very large range and are quite reliable.
Also, they're pretty cheap, you can get 2 for about 50-60 bucks.

What needs do you have. Manual flash ok or do you want TTL ? What's your price range? TTL, better quality and longer dependable range will all cost more. Poverty wizards may be all you need or you may want/need higher quality/dependable stuff.

Thanks. I was looking at the Canon ST-E3-RT, mainly because I like original equip, but the price is so far above ANY of the competition it got me curious as to why. One of the negative reviews states:

......... It no longer has the autofocus assist beam for focusing in low light conditions -- and low light conditions are possibly a principal reason you're using this equipment. It no longer has the optical transmitter function -- and some of your speedlites may be legacy devices. The interoperability of this device is lacking with other Canon and non-Canon flashes currently on the market; and these flashes will continue to be on the market for a long time.........

So, I don't know if that is something I should worry about. The Yongnuo triggers and flashes look VERY appealing price-wise. Yeah, I know, I just spent a small fortune on new stuff, but that barrel 'o money is running dry.

:mrgreen:

You want wireless not infra red. The old stuff was infra red. The new stuff has wireless build in. Thus the difference. The ST-E3-RT is wireless. It's not badly priced for what all it can do, if you need all of what it is capable of.

The "RT" suffix on the end of the ST-E3-RT indicates that this is a radio technology component. It only works with Canon flashes that support radio and currently that's just the Speedlite 600EX-RT.

The 430EX II has a built-in optical slave -- which requires an optical trigger to function. A camera with a pop-up flash would do it, but the Canon ST-E2 (not the ST-E3-RT which is the next-generation) can trigger the 430EX II.

You can use 3rd party triggers if they are able to function as a Canon E-TTL master.

You can also ignore the Canon system entirely and go with simple triggers which are MUCH less expensive... but lose the ability to do E-TTL (these very inexpensive triggers are for manual flash.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back