What's new

Flash

Jethro

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Messages
99
Reaction score
11
Location
Prague
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I have about 300$ to spend on a flash and I am complete noob on the flash field, I've never used any (except the one built in the camera). Could you guys please give me some flash tips for Canon 7D fitting this budget? What parameters are important for flashes and what should I look for?
Thanks :)
 
Depends on what you want to do with it. Keep an eye on the guide number - the higher the number the more powerful the flash. The ability to be able to reduce the power of the flash is also something to look for. Swivel and bounce likewise. Finally (and kind of obviously) make sure it's compatible with your 7D. If it was me I'd go for either a new Canon 430EX II or a used 580EX II.
 
I am shooting mainly people, animals and landscapes :) So I think I would be using it for taking pics in bad lighting conditions etc.
 
IMO, save up and go for a 580EX II. If you enjoy flash photography at all (which you will from the sound of it), you'll end up upgrading anyway...might as well get the big one now :D
 
Also think about diffusion setups--an umbrella, soft box, etc. And you really really want to get the flash off camera. So some sort of triggers, be it the cheap yonguno ones on ebay, or an expensive set of pocket wizards. An umbrella, stand, and trigger will really make your flash useful. For me, on camera flash is only useful in a room where i can bounce off the ceiling, or when i am shooting someone outside during the day and need a little bit of fill.
 
I am shooting mainly people, animals and landscapes :) So I think I would be using it for taking pics in bad lighting conditions etc.

Well by the smilie I guess you know that a flash gun is of no use for landscapes.

What sort of animals are you thinking of? Domestic pets like cats and dogs will normally be fine with flash but with lots of others I would think flash would spook them.

That just leaves people where unless you're bouncing or using it as fill (as pointed out already) flash is so much nicer taken off camera and normally modified in some way.

It would also be interesting to know what you mean by 'bad lighting conditions' as that can mean just about anything...
 
What landscape would you light with a flashgun? You could light a subject within a landscape but then that isn't landscape photography any more, to me at least.
 
Could be used to illuminate the foreground...
 
The 430EX II is right in your price range. Amazon.com: Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
Down the road, when you are ready to start shooting multiple flashes in high speed sync, get the 580EX II and it will be able to trigger the 430 EX II.

Note: you would be able to trigger both flashes off camera on the 7D. But not at high sync speeds.

Ever wonder how photographers get shots like these: high sync speed - Google Searcht's skill, good lenses, great lighting! Don't go cheap on the flash and get some knock off brand.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom