Flash

marinaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, everyone.

I have a D80 and would like to get a flash for it. I haven't used a flash other than what's built into the camera, but there are some things I'd like to experiment with using an external flash.

I have a very limited budget and I'm hoping to get some suggestions for a decent, general use flash that doesn't cost the earth.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated,

Thanks & regards,

Marina

SB600 is about $270, SB800 is about $450. personally, i'd keep saving and turn my limited budget into an SB800, i love the two i have. but honestly, they're both great flashes.

If your budget doesn't allow for a Nikon Speedlight, you could try something like the Vivitar 285HV... great flash, but you'll have to do all the work (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're just starting to experiment, right?) Also some older Nikon flashes may work but I'm not sure about the compatibility issues there.

As ZaphodB said the older Nikon flashes will work somewhat but you won't get the iTTL. The iTTL is a great thing to have but is not as necessary as say an arm or a leg.

If you are wanting a strictly off camera flash, look into a used Metz 45 CT4 and an inexpensive wireless setup. The Metz has an amazing auto sensor and is very powerful (guide number of 45 meters) and you can get a wireless setup from e-bay for around $35 w/shipping from China.

I have a 60 CT1 (older model and just a bit more output) that will light up a small church -back to front- to f5.6 at night with all the lights turned off. :)

mike

Ok... not to put anyone down but those previous posts are crazy-talk. :drunk:

If you have a D80 you can control the Nikon Speedlights (600 and 800) wirelessly from the LCD of your D80. Do some research on the Nikon Creative Light System and you'll probably be drooling when you're done.

The basics are that with the D80 you can set the on-camera flash to commander and up to four 600's / 800's to wireless slave. The D80 fires a pre-flash that the slave will read and automatically adjust for using TTL data. If you want more or less juice out of the slave you can adjust it right at your D80's LCD without having to move towards the slave.

So that said... there's no way in hell I would consider ANY flash besides the SB-600 / SB-800. Save up some more, buy it used, steal it... whatever. If you're looking for an off-camera flash anything else would be a waste.

I decided to go with the D80 because of the Nikon CLS. I went with the SB-600 for four main reasons.

1- $$$$. I went over budget to get the D80 vs the Canon XTi (without any regrets).

2- I read in this forum or elsewhere that the 600's menus were less cumbersome. I'm a noobie and didn't want to get burdoned down, at this time in my life, with all the extra info.

3- I could got wireless straight out of the box.

4- I didn't expect to need that much power.

Do you remember when Bart & Homer went into 3D World? The change with having the flash is that dramatic. After reading more and getting a better handle on CLS, I am definely saving up for the 800. It's not a matter of power so much, because you can adjust up/down to your needs, but how much more control you have with multiple flashes. The 600 serves me well and I made the purchase that was right for me.

BTW, I went to B&H. Highly recommended website in this forum and the prices were as good as they get.

SB-600:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/323882-USA/Nikon_4802_SB_600_Speedlight.html

SB-800:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300467-USA/Nikon_4801_SB_800_Speedlight.html

Just adding fuel to the fire. Hope this helps.

Hi, everyone.

I have a D80 and would like to get a flash for it. I haven't used a flash other than what's built into the camera, but there are some things I'd like to experiment with using an external flash.

I have a very limited budget and I'm hoping to get some suggestions for a decent, general use flash that doesn't cost the earth.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated,

Thanks & regards,

Marina

I love my Sb's but where at $350 /pop for an 800 (and you guys are talking about 3 or 4 of them?) does that fit into "very limited budget"?

You can do some really Great work with just one flash and for that matter one flash in Manual! If you don't believe me look at all the work that's been done with just a window.

Marina, whatever you get make sure that the trigger voltage is under 250V dc to keep from frying your camera- most all of them are and say thank you to Nikon for such a high voltage. Also, if you haven't been to strobist.com , go and look around.

gook luck to you

mike

Thank you all very much for your replies. I've done a little research on everything all of you have mentioned. I certainly didn't understand everything I was reading, but I'll learn! :)

I think in the long run I'll probably be happiest with the SB-800. However, it's considerably above my budget right now, so I'll be saving my pennies for awhile and making do with the little built-in flash.

I have a couple more questions. First, what does zoom mean with regards to a flash? Second, do I understand correctly that I would be able to set up a long exposure on my camera and wander around with the flash in my hand, push a button or something, and fire it however many times I want during that exposure?

I also checked out the Creative Lighting System and Strobist.com. My wish list is growing by the minute. I'm going to have to start buying lottery tickets!

Thank you all very much for your help and suggestions.

Zoom on a flash is like focusing a flashlight. It pulls the beam tighter so there is more light in a smaller area thereby illuminating a subject more effectively at a longer distance.

And yes, you can do a long exposure and 'paint' with your flash. There is an example somewhere out on the net of an old church and a graveyard done this way to good effect. Check your local Goodwill or Nam-vets store or whatever you have locally for a $5 flash. You don't need to put it on your camera (unless you check the trigger voltage Don't put it on your camera!), just load it with batteries and push the button. :)

(Be sure to take some batteries along to make sure the flash works)

mike

Zoom on a flash is like focusing a flashlight. It pulls the beam tighter so there is more light in a smaller area thereby illuminating a subject more effectively at a longer distance.

And yes, you can do a long exposure and 'paint' with your flash. There is an example somewhere out on the net of an old church and a graveyard done this way to good effect. Check your local Goodwill or Nam-vets store or whatever you have locally for a $5 flash. You don't need to put it on your camera (unless you check the trigger voltage Don't put it on your camera!), just load it with batteries and push the button. :)

(Be sure to take some batteries along to make sure the flash works)

mike

Thanks for explaining the zoom. Thanks also for the suggestion of looking for a flash from Goodwill to use for 'painting'. There's one around the corner, so I'll do just that!

Regards,

Marina

I love my Sb's but where at $350 /pop for an 800 (and you guys are talking about 3 or 4 of them?) does that fit into "very limited budget"?

I wasn't suggesting he / she get 3 or 4 flashes... does that really make sense? I was just pointing out that going with a 600 / 800 opens far many more doors than a non-Nikon. :)

I was just pointing out that going with a 600 / 800 opens far many more doors than a non-Nikon. :)

I read your posts and that is the way I understood it :wink:

If you can't swing the 80, the SB-600 is a reasonable alternative but with less range. The CLS system is absolutely awesome. Start with one, you might decide you want more. If you need more power later and go with a SB-800, the 600 won't go to waist, use it as a second with the CLS. Great system.

Marina, the Nikon flashes are top of the line and if you can afford them then by all means do.

If not then you will probably join the Fraternal Order of Photographers and make do with whatever comes to hand. True Photographers seldom let a lack of equipment get in their way. :)

Here's another trick for you that will make some cringe, Look for old, distressed AI or later lenses of any make (F mount of course and AI or later so as not to mess up your camera) to use. Sometimes you will find one that gives a beautiful effect that cannot be duplicated. If you find one that has had a fungus that you like, be sure to kill the fungus with either a blacklight or letting direct sunlight shine through it from back to front (UV kills the fungus but keep it separated from your other lenses anyway).

JAT

mike

Mike is correct, I own/shoot several AI and AI/S lenses and I prefer them to AF in most applications.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back