Flatulence forced plane to land...

Oops...so I did...how was that still in my copy cache??

At least it wasn't something embarrassing! :p

I've often wondered why people "light a match" when there is a 'smell from down there'. Is it just because the smell of the match is supposed to cover it up? Or is there a more scientific reason? Why not just, spray some perfume?

I read this somewhere some time ago, so don't think I'm some fart-expert, or exfert or something. Most of flatulence is nitrogen and carbon dioxide. Hydrogen gas and methane are inflammable, so I guess lighting a match may burn up some of the gases.

But the smell of flatulence doesn't actually come from the gases, rather it is due to trace amounts of some organic substances that enter the air in the form of particles. So I'm guessing that lighting a match would just cover up the smell with smoke.

rather it is due to trace amounts of some organic substances that enter the air in the form of particles
So when you smell a fart...you are actually getting little particles of "organic matter" in your nose. :puke:

I'm no scientwit, but I've always thought it was the smell of sulfur from the match that hid the odor?

Glad the fart didn't travel as far as the cockpit! Imagine the poor pilots struggling to keep the plane operating normally.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back