Flower in B&W

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Flowers for me is a love hate relationship. It is way too easy to take a standard "pretty" flower shot but I still want to shoot them.
Today I challenged myself by not using colour, this is the one I liked best.

I like the light and how the subject looks different than those surrounding it. I dislike how abrupt the right side is.
Would love to hear your thoughts :)

I'm going to add this one, I keep looking at it and going hmmm...

99% of the time I cant stand black and white flower pictures. I think this is that other 1%. You somehow made these pictures interesting, even being the black and white. Some might say that the sun is over-powering, but I personally like it, in these pictures anyway.

Very nice!

the crop in the first one is a definite no, for me. The second crop is much better but yes, the sun is a distraction.

I opened the page not expecting much, a colorless flower makes me think of tasteless food, poi or raw tofu (yes, I know) but I see now a colorless flower can look kinda cool, thank you.

I think because this really isn't a flower picture! I don't see flowers as the main subject of this image at all! If anything, it's the stems. This is a composition with various elements...the flowers are just one aspect. Cool shot.

Comments above refer to the second image...didn't see the first

Thanks guys, I'm glad it is successful on some levels. Trever, I'm iffy on that crop too, I wish I had more room to add on the right but alas I only have left left. I'll take a look through the shots again and see if I have more in one of them, I'm really close to really liking that one.
As for the sun in the second I like the balance that it gives as an element but not how bright it is (lol yes I know how goofy that sounds), it competes, so again... I'm torn.

I really really like the second one, a million times more interesting than a normal flower photo

Thanks Yerlem :)

I like the perspective on both and using the black and white adds to that.

Thanks Sherm :)

These both work very well, but #2 has better composition. In both, the additional leaves, flowers, trees, whatever, seem to distract too much from the wonderful main flower and its lovely stem (or flowers and stems). The B&W is great. The perspective is intriguing - like a small animal's view! The sun adds life. I'm a fan of these and I encourage you to shoot more, perhaps isolating the subject with sun or sunlight. :D

Last edited:
The first is ok. The second is much better and very interesting. The angle is great and I like the B&W here. Nice job. What Jaemie said about the animal view and how the sun adds life is spot on.

Thanks so much Jaemie and Scuba.

I really like this perspective too and will definitely play with it more. I think you all are spot on with where these are falling short and I have some ideas on how to redo. It's cool when a plan starts coming together ;)

Crop the bottom flower out of the first one. But try to leave as much stem as possible. Maybe clone a little of the flower out then crop.

See what you get....

Most reactions

Back