Flowers/Floral Stuff

Turk's Cap Lilies growing in the deep shade.
_IMG7735.jpg

Probably my favorite non-native plant, seen here growing along a local lake, is Meadowsweet. Used for centuries as a stewing herb, to flavor Mead, as a love potion, and in making sweet tasting jams, jellies, cakes etc. It is said to get it's sweet, almond scent from the Irish Goddess Aine. It's most important role in modern times was in medicene. In 1899 scientists at the Bayer Drug Company synthesized the Salicylic Acid found in the plant and created Acetylsalicylic Acid....which they named Aspirin.
_IMG8140.l.jpg

A couple of Fall flowers: Common Blue Woods Aster and Virgin's Bower seed pods. Virgin's Bower, also known as American Clematis, is the only Native Clematis species we have.
_IMG8546_edited.l.jpg
_IMG8550_edited.l.jpg

35 year ago this flower showed up in one of my flowerbeds. It's one of the most poisonous plants in the world, and it's called Monkshood, also known as Wolfbane. The variety that grows around me is called Southern Blue Appalachian Monkshood. Beautiful and deadly.
_IMG8584_edited.l.jpg
_IMG8585_edited.l.jpg

The spring cycle rolls along as the native wildflowers appear species by species. These are Dutchman's Breeches, part of the same family that includes Bleeding Hearts. There were thousands of them blooming today along a beautifully maintained Rails-To-Trails which runs along the Frankstown Branch of the Juniata River.
_IMG2503.l.jpg
_IMG2510.l.jpg
_IMG2520.l.jpg

Most reactions

Back