Flowers

TerBear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I don't post much since I am very much of a newbie, but I spend a lot of time lurking, reading, and admiring everyone's picture. I do have a question for everyone here, what is your favorite / most recommended lens for flowers? People tell me that spring is right around the corner, but judging by the current extended day forecast and the amount of snow on the ground, I'm not sure I believe them. Either way, I do need to start making a plan for flower pictures.

My current set up is:
Nikon D80 & Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 that I purchased in Oct.
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

I also have a tripod that I can pull out and try to use. It was a Christmas present, but since I am normally taking pictures of a fast moving dog and we have had 12+ inches of snow on the ground since Feb, I haven't had a chance to try it out.

I don't do a lot of macro photography, so I don't want to spend a ton on the lens. A couple hundred, even better if it is another good multipurpose lens.

Thanks

Maybe a set of extension tubes? Flowers won't try to run/fly away.

For flowers I use my Nikon 60mm 2.8G Macro

AE1_6508_zps76cdbc28.jpg

AE1_6401_zps270c5b3b.jpg

AE1_6557_zps8ec8f916.jpg

I got mine for 390$ used but if you have a camera with in body AF then you can go for the Nikon 60mm 2.8D which I saw go between 200$-300$

As posted in the macro section, I use a 60mm 2.8 Nikkor as well that I bought the other day, but unlike GoodGuy, I bought mine for $170 used. And since I host my own images, here they are again.

Flower.jpg

flower.jpg

pollen.jpg

spider.jpg

As posted in the macro section, I use a 60mm 2.8 Nikkor as well that I bought the other day, but unlike GoodGuy, I bought mine for $170 used. And since I host my own images, here they are again.

Flower.jpg

flower.jpg

pollen.jpg

spider.jpg
Was that the 2.8G or 2.8D ?

Sorry, I didn't catch the G. heh Mine is the D.

Then you paid about the value of the lens used but at the lower end of the scale so you got a pretty good price.
When I looked for a lens I was actually looking for the D version because it was very recommended but I could find one under 350$ so I decided to pay just a little bit more and get the more modern G but for your price I would go for the D in a heart beat, fantastic lens.

Then you paid about the value of the lens used but at the lower end of the scale so you got a pretty good price.
When I looked for a lens I was actually looking for the D version because it was very recommended but I could find one under 350$ so I decided to pay just a little bit more and get the more modern G but for your price I would go for the D in a heart beat, fantastic lens.

I just got mine a few days ago. Have you tried your with an extension? Urm....or can you do that?

No extensions but I love this lens, super sharp and is a fantastic general use lens.

thanks everyone. I have heard good things about the 60mm. Plus with the D80, I can use the D models and they will still autofocus.

The 40mm macro is a favorite for DX bodies, I think I paid 250 for mine.

Just wanted to update. I ended up going with the Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 because my MIL now wants bug pictures. A few samples -

$20140419-DSC_0095.jpg$20140419-DSC_0142.jpg$20140420-DSC_0686.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back