Flume Gorge in New Hampshire in the Fall

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Flume Gorge was the first place I officially visited, and I can't get over just how beautiful it was. This was the view as you turned the corner and saw the entire gorge.. definitely one of those sights you can gaze at for a while (which is exactly what I did).

_RSP9031-2 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers all!
Jake

Looks like a wonderful spot! While wearing my newbie hat, I will say bottom right looks dark. I would like to see more detail in those great rocks.
Can the green moss be boosted a little?
Love the golden leaves and soft water.

Very neat. Well done.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nice exposure.

Darn good picture !

Lovely, but............I'm falling into the 'overly done smooth water that looks like smoke camp'. Everything else is SWEETNESS for me.

Looks like a wonderful spot! While wearing my newbie hat, I will say bottom right looks dark. I would like to see more detail in those great rocks.

One might observe that the bottoms of gorges ARE dark, and making them all one shade makes the entire photo look totally fake...

It's OK to have light areas and dark areas in a picture...

One might observe that the bottoms of gorges ARE dark, and making them all one shade makes the entire photo look totally fake...

Oh good, I have lots of photos with light and dark spots in them

Nancy, I think Sabbath hit the nail on the head. They ARE dark, but if I lightened them more than I already had, the photos becomes illogical. It's already a bit "doctored" by my use of a graduated ND. There's a fine line I toe when using filters and editing scenes like this; I want to maintain detail and tonality, but not to the point where it destroys the realistic nature of the image.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely lovely picture - but I HATE the doctored water - so false., But oh what a great picture. Michael r

Lovely lovely picture - but I HATE the doctored water - so false., But oh what a great picture. Michael r

Doctored? You mean the byproduct of a long exposure, which was necessary given the low light in the flume on a cloudy day?

Thanks for the kind words, but I'll agree to disagree about the "doctoring."

Jake

Doctored? You mean the byproduct of a long exposure, which was necessary given the low light in the flume on a cloudy day?

Thanks for the kind words, but I'll agree to disagree about the "doctoring."

Jake
Hi Jake. Ignorence is bliss. Just shows the level of my photography knowledge! Water not to my liking still but the " gorgeous" (no pun intended!) photo is hauntingly beautiful. Wish I had taken it. Michael r ps Forgot about the darkness in such a deep gorge.

I do have to say that this strongly reminds me of much of the scenery I recently saw (and shot) in the Hocking Hills region of central Ohio...and yea, you really can just stand there staring at it for hours. Very lovely scene to say the least.

However I too am in the camp that I believe the water does look over-done. This is obviously a matter of personal opinion, however I feel there's a point where such shots stop looking like "water" and end up being more blotchy than anything...I guess "smoke" is as appropriate a term as any. Not saying water should look "static"...it should convey some sense of movement (even if just from an artistic sense), but it should still look like water. Given the "low light/cloudy day" comment I just spotted,I think I might have opted for a higher ISO to bring the shutter speed up a little to give the water some better definition.

Just my own opinion.

I do have to say that this strongly reminds me of much of the scenery I recently saw (and shot) in the Hocking Hills region of central Ohio...and yea, you really can just stand there staring at it for hours. Very lovely scene to say the least.

However I too am in the camp that I believe the water does look over-done. This is obviously a matter of personal opinion, however I feel there's a point where such shots stop looking like "water" and end up being more blotchy than anything...I guess "smoke" is as appropriate a term as any. Not saying water should look "static"...it should convey some sense of movement (even if just from an artistic sense), but it should still look like water. Given the "low light/cloudy day" comment I just spotted,I think I might have opted for a higher ISO to bring the shutter speed up a little to give the water some better definition.

Just my own opinion.

That's a fair assessment. I think the difficulty here is that the water is so low--it's tricky to convey water movement when there's very little water; it either looks crappy, or super smooth, IMO. Here, I decided that, given the water level, I wouldn't worry about how the shutter speed effected the look/clarity of the water.

Here's an example of what I like to do when there's high water; in this, I used a short exposure to show the intense water flow, something that I don't think would have been possible in the Flume.

"Spring Flooding" by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

Most reactions

Back